1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram Issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by confusis, 20 Apr 2006.

1. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

I seem to be having an issue with RAM. I installed a spare 256mb stick, and then came across a whole host of issues.

1) Wouldnt boot, erroring as bad memory, so I attempted reseating it
    2) Pc wouldnt boot fullstop, not a bleep or anything, so I stripped it down and rebuilt component by component.
    3) It does boot now, (I'm using it to post this), with all hardware in place and operational. Well expcetping the ram stick, which is in place, but inoperational.

Now, the ram stick is in place, but it is not picked up in BIOS/windows/Everest home. It is booting up with the ram, not beeping or showing any error messages, but why isnt it showing up anywhere?

System specs just in case it is of any concern (copied from Everest Home):
    CPU: AMD Duron XP, 2000 MHz (13.5 x 148) (overclocked. Yeah I know theres no such thing as an Duron xp but this is what it comes up with in Everest
    Motherboard: MSI KT6V-LSR (MS-7021)
    Motherboard Chipset:VIA VT8377 Apollo KT600
    System Memory: 256 MB (DDR SDRAM) (should be 512 mb because both sticks are 256 mb)

Video Adapter: GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)

If there's anything else you need to know to answer my question, feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

well you might want to check to see if the ram stick is bad by just booting w/ it, otherwise it could be like pc2700 ram while the rest of yours is pc3200 and the other stick cant run at the speed.

3. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Hmm i think it's a bad stick, but I dont see why it would boot with it in the second slot? Booted twice with both sticks in place, only picking up one.

I also tried setting the speed fo the ram to its lowest setting but that didnt help either. Oh well ram's out, Im stuck with 256mb..

Thanks for the quick response :)