1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory RAM upgrade - triple channel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by magicianlord, 27 Aug 2012.

1. magicianlord

magicianlord What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area.
    I want to upgrade my RAM - here's some of my system info:
    - i7-930 CPU
    - Asus P6X58D Premium mobo
    - am currently running 3x2GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 2000MHz 9-9-9-27 (part no.: F3-16000CL9T-6GBRH)

I'm not too interested in getting memory of a hugely higher capacity - 12GB would be nice. Am more interested to see if I could get those clock timings down, yet maintain the 2000MHz speed - so I can keep the current OC'd speed of my CPU in tact.

From looking around the net I believe I need some triple channel memory... correct me if wrong.
    I'm struggling to find some suitable memory given my mobo etc are now a couple of years old. Could anyone recommend anything suitable? Cheers in advance.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2012
  2. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

I'm no expert overclocker, however you can run single, dual or triple channel memory in X58 boards. I have the same mobo and CPU and have had dual channel in. The reason you'd want to is that for some reason triple channel kits are more expensive per RAM stick than dual channel, or that's what I've seen anyway. Also, extra sticks may mean you can't get the sticks stable at higher frequencies, as more chance a single stick can't take it. And perhaps extra latency on triple channel will mean you can't keep timings as tight, although I'm not sure about that.

So go and buy a better value dual channel kit, that is built for overclocking. And you want better timings, but still 2000MHz. Have you heard of Samsung Green RAM? It's hard to find, but it's legendarily overclock-able due to being made on a 30nm process.

CCL do it, although they're all I've found, but for £50, I don't think you'll be able to get anything that overclocks as well.
    You may be able to find other RAM from Corsair/G.Skill/Patriot etc out there, but 2000MHz AND tight timings will probably be expensive.

Edit: Having just checked, why don't you just lower the RAM speed from 2000MHz to 1600MHz? Save yourself the cash and try tightening timings that way.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2012
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

:waah:
    This is a very foolish thing to do. The extra bandwidth triple channel offers over dual would easily be more than speed or timings.

I don't know what this current obsession with timings is, as they don't make a huge difference to performance unless you're pushing for extreme benchmark scores. Overall, what you have is as much as you'll get really without forking out for super high end RAM...

4. magicianlord

just seen these bad boys:
    G.SKILL
    F3-16000CL7T-6GBPS(XMP)
    DDR3 2000
    6GB(3 x 2GB)
    7-8-7-20(1066-8-8-8-20)

the hunt is on!

if there's anything else better out there please shout!

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What do you need it for?

6. magicianlord

gaming, and 3d graphics work

7. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

Sorry, but the poster asked for the new RAM with more space (8Gb>6Gb) and wanted to be able to keep tight timings. He thought he needed triple channel, I'm just saying he doesn't NEED it and can save cash on dual channel. I've yet to see any situation where the actual extra bandwidth of triple channel will help average Joe. Certainly, I don't have an X58 board for triple channel RAM - I bought it because it supported the best CPU at the time...

I don't know what the obsession with forking out huge amounts of cash for timing that you'll literally never see any real-world gain from either, however I was only answering his question. I'd recommend Samsung Green for tighter timings on a budget. If money is no object, and timing are all, then by all means, go crazy on Google. I'm sure G.Skill do some horrendously expensive tight timing RAM :D

Edit: Now here's where I don't know. If the "3D Graphics work" will benefit from triple channel (I wouldn't have thought it likely but I really don't know). If so, by all means, make sure you get some RAM with it - and ignore my posts :) Tight timings and a triple channel kit ain't going to be cheap though...

8. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

The performance difference will be minuscule even in benchmarks, and inexistent in real world usage.

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Tripe channel offers extra bandwith that is of no advantage to 99.9% of applications, so it's entirely by-the-by. As for speed and timings there's no difference between 1600MHz and 2000MHz on an X58 system... it's all numbers and electronic phallus.

@ OP, I would suggest buying a 4x4GB of the cheapest RAM you can find even if it's 1600 C9... you'll get the quantity you're after and there won't be any drop in performance.