1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Crashes, what's the deal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SugarBear, 19 Dec 2003.

1. SugarBear

SugarBear What's a Dremel?

I've got two Shuttle SN41G2's one of them is wicked loaded with two big giant HDD's a DVD burner and a Radeon 9800XT, the other one has nothing in it but a HDD and a standard Burner.

both are running Samsung LCDs, one on a 19 inch and the other on a 17 inch.

on the black one (which has the radeon) the picture on the monitor is crisp and clean with no imperfections, but the computer just randomly crashes whenever I put the video under any kind of load, including just playing standard Mpeg movie trailers. it crashes fully then reboots immediatly on it's own, sometimes it comes back up and says windows has recovered from a catastrophic failure sometimes it doesn't.

the silver computer (pretty much stock) has absolutely terrible picture on the screen, there are what appear to be tears all over the screen which disapear when an image (such as the mouse cursor) is over top of them, so it's not bad pixels, it's stuck in 800x600 mode, if I even attempt to make it bigger (like accessing the desktop properties at all) the whole system crashes, and this one crashes all the time, if you open a few windows too fast, it crashes, if you move a menu box too fast it crashes.

both of them have the latest drivers for everything downloaded and installed, both are running windows xp pro.

Black Shuttle SN41g2B
    Barton 3200
    1 Gig of Geil 400mhz ram (underclocked automatically)
    Barracuda 120 IDE HDD
    Maxtor 80 Gig HDD
    Liteon DVD R+W burner
    Saphire Radeon 9800 XT

Silver Shuttle SN41G2
    Thorton 2400+
    256 Meg of 400mhz Ram (underclocked by the bios)
    Maxtor 60 Gig HDD
    Liteon 52xBurner

there's no way I'm going to reinstall the OS on eithe of these, I've rolled back to older drivers, tried betas and tried the newest stable drivers from Nvidia and ATI.

It really sucks that I have a relatively top end system that not only cannot play modern games, can't even play the trailer for "Monster"

what's the deal? any idea or suggestions that I haven't already tried?

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

The crashing could be caused by lack of power... you've gotta lot of kit in that system running of a ~200w PSU, that could well be casuign the crashes under graphics load, either that or the thing is getting too hot...

3. ajack

ajack rox

When i tried my shuttle with 2 hdds in, it got *very* hot in there. There is no clearance on either side of the drives, and the case is small so they get really hot - so most probably it is temps

4. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

Highland3r and j4ck are right... it could be power or temps...

for temps it's easy to see if it's that. open it, place it near an opened window and test it. If it's as cold where you are that it's here, you won't have any high temps :D get MBM5 and see the difference. any system now reboots at about 65C so check this out.

if it's not the temps... then should be the power.. shuttle have little psu... just keep the essential to boot (even replace your video card since it takes lot of juice) and test it...

about the one you say your stuck at 800x600, I once had that problem and it was driver problem...

might be a good idea if nothing works to reinstall XP but in the case that nothing works and you don't want to reinstall XP, you might get stuck with your situation...

hope it helps

5. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I agree. It is a driver problem, and rolling back the drivers as you have done always seems to muck up the system stability. There's nothing I can do to get it to work properly when it happens to me without re-installing.