1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Raspberry Pi first 10,000

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vo0Ds, 29 Feb 2012.

1. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Can we not drop an internet bomb on this guy? Profiteering tit.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

£95?! £95?! Never mind that the thieving ****ard doesn't even have any, that's over three times the retail price (including VAT & shipping).

I am still working on a device that allows me to reach into my monitor and punch someone over the internet. Clearly I'm not working hard enough.

3. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

I may just make him 897628752872 offers for 95p per unit. See how he likes that.

4. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Jeez I thought the original ebay listing with the prototype version was bad!!!

This is worse than an Apple launch!

I'm just going to wait now, I'll try again on friday and if I can't get one then I'll just leave it until RS/Farnell actually have stock (and will allow more than 1 per person)

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Will they run BF3 on low detail?

6. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

No. (unless there's an ARM port)

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

8. Lord Badger

Lord Badger What's a Dremel?

Whenever you get limited supply of a product people try to take advantage.

Can't install windows, but I believe there is an RDP client so you can connect to a windows PC/Server elsewhere. Could be interesting as thin clients depending on performance

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

But such blatant profiteering on the back of a charity is just plain wrong, no matter how you look at it. Sadly, there will be people who are duped by such low-life scum and will lose their money.

Some mupped posted it on hotukdeals yesterday and the comment thread was full of "people" saying that they would buy one just to re-sell it on eBay and make a profit; I read through 15 pages of that aggravating drivel before I had to give up for fear of losing even more faith in the human race.

10. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Are you really suprised that someone is trying to make a profit on this through eBay?

11. Lord Badger

Lord Badger What's a Dremel?

Agreed, it's entirely wrong. In my view as bad as the stories in the news in recent years of people stealing charity clothes bags from the street.

Sadly there is a difference between something being morally wrong and legally wrong.

12. longweight

The internet gives the consumer choice, if you want to be duped and buy an expensive product from eBay then you have failed to use the internet correctly. Some people will be happy to pay a premium to get one early (there is of course no guarantee of this) whilst others will be happy to wait and get it at a low price from a reliable source.

I really don't think this is profiteering off the back of a charity, it is a basic case of supply and demand, if the charity wanted to make more money it could charge more for the product in the first place.

13. saspro

saspro IT monkey

However it IS in breach of ebays selling regulations so report it (I did)

14. Seglespaan

Seglespaan What's a Dremel?

Maybe it's just be but I don't get what all the fuss is about?

I don't want to use my TV to do "Computer" stuff, because I have a computer for that. :wallbash:

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

But those paying a premium to try and get one early aren't going to get one early - assuming that they get one at all. I do agree that the buyer bears some burden of responsibility, but that doesn't excuse the frankly immoral actions of profiteers. That's to say nothing of the fact that they're trying to sell a product that they don't even own!

The charity doesn't want to make any more money on the back of it; I'm sure they'd love to plough more money back into the project, but that gets away from the aims of the foundation. The idea is that these machines are used in education - to improve programming skills - and should cost roughly the same as a text book. If a school can afford to equip each child in a class with a text book, then a computer with a similar price wouldn't be much of a stretch. Hence why the price of these models was fixed a long time ago at $35 - and will not go higher - and there is a cheaper option coming out later in the year.

16. Seglespaan

Whats the point of buying every kid one of these if there's only one TV on a wheeled trolley per school?

17. longweight

And that is a great aim to have, if the commercial price is much higher initially then I don't really see a problem.

The buyer bears all of the responsibility when buying things on the internet, if you choose to buy something that doesn't quite add up then it is your own fault. Of course there will be those that can't smell a dodgy deal on the internet but then they shouldn't really be shopping on the net.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Maybe in that very specific scenario it won't help, but that's a very specific scenario. It's still a far cry from a desktop PC costing several hundred.

A fool and his money may be easily parted, but that doesn't mean that it's right to help part the fool from his money.

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Then its not for you. It is for thousands of other people though...

20. Seglespaan

Like I say I just don't get it. Seems to fiddly for the mass market to be bothered with, especially in the age of the tablet, and although much cheaper you still need the gubbins to go with it to make it do anything.

My mum's not going to run out n buy this just because it's cheap. If anything I'd ay it's a novelty item, and until it's as good / user friendly as a tablet they won't sell to the general non techy market.