Graphics Re-seating 8800GT help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyphus, 25 Mar 2009.

1. Cyphus

Cyphus What's a Dremel?

Hi all

So i'm half way through re-seating my 8800GT heatsink after getting temperatures up 108 degrees when playing TF2.

[​IMG]

The problem is, the copper part of the heatsink was entirely covered with TIM, but I think I only need to put a tiny bit of AS5 on the actual core. Before i continued and possibly destroyed it, I thought I should ask here.

[​IMG]

If I try and cover the whole copper section, it will get into the gap between the core and the metal boarder

Anybody have any experience or knowledge on this?

Many Thanks
    Cyphus

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

looks like you did a decent job keeping the pads intact.. yeah I know what you mean with those gpu's- I used as5 on the old g80's and it's fine, but the g92 is open so I went with mx-2 instead

also you should look into creating fan profiles in something like rivatuner.. a 92mm fan over the mouth blowing into the card will help keep the noise down when your tweaking fan speeds- you should be able to keep that card around 70C or lower loaded- also a case with decent airflow down there (least a side intake) will help

3. Cyphus

Cyphus What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply

Yea, i'm tempted to try just a tiny tiny bit of AS5 on it, the only other stuff i have is some Thermal Right paste that came with my CPU cooler.

I have the fan set at 45% for everyday use and that 108 degrees was at around 70%!

Just searching on Bit and found a thread about an 8800GT and this was suggested:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-047-AK&tool=3

Seeing as this is so cheap i might order that and use an old 7800 to tide me over until it arrives.