1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Real Time Strategy

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DaveVader, 1 Mar 2008.

1. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I've always played RTS games on my PC, since some of the originals of C&C, AoE, Cossacks and a nice selection of them along the way; and now I'm looking for another. At the moment I have (and play) AoE 3, Rome TW and Cossacks.
    I looked into World in Conflict but it didn't quite take my fancy. I've been thinking of Company of Heroes, C&C3, Supreme Commander...

I like having to really think about strategy and being able to have a very large population is a nice bonus. The reason I am drifting away from WiC is because you can't build anything, you just ship in troops etc. This is all well and good but not really for me.
    So basically, I'm just asking for advice, recommendations. It doesn't have to be a recent game, I'm not fussy about graphics to be honest.

2. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Have you tried Darwinia ? It's pretty different, but is strategy nonetheless, you should give it a try.
    The classics as well : Starcraft+Brood war are nice.

3. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

4. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

If you like the classics what about Seven Kingdoms: Ancient Adversaries?

5. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

warzone2100 my fave and now free:
    http://wz2100.net/
    Attractions include:
    custom units
    tech tree with thousands of techs
    support for as many units as you can pump out
    3d graphics
    complex stratagey with the fusion of sensors artilary tanks and VTOLS and comanders

the latest beta is a real beta so don't try and play it :p
    There are some serious exploits in mp if your not carefull so aggree not to do them before hand (the cyborg transport for example is obscene if you misuse it).

Also homeworld if you like story, its also one of the few space RT's that are properly 3d.

6. DaveVader

Im giving it a download now, it can't dissapoint if it's free.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will see if I want to spend some money when I go out later today.

7. lockdown

lockdown What's a Dremel?

I think C&C3 will be very good. I think the best is starcraft.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

CoH + expansion is deffinitely worth a look IMO, great campaign and great multiplayer, Dawn of War is also very good, although lacks some of the great features they added to the engine in CoH.

I really enjoyed playing C&C3 as well, loved the campaign, not really played it multiplayer though.

Supreme Commander didn't really do much for me, I thought it was ok, but nothing really amazing, it just didn't really grab me, there wasn't much character to the game.

One I really recommend is Sins of a Solar Empire, the only way you'd be able to get it is download from stardock (which is a similar service to steam but much better IMO) as there is no boxed version over here yet. It's a large scale 4X game but instead of TBS like usual, it's RTS, it works really well, it's not your typical fast paced RTS but if you're looking for something with a bit more depth, it's worth checking out. The learning curve is very steep, but it's great once you master it.

9. DaveVader

I just read the bit article on Sins and it looks so good. Looks like my playing style so I will definitely give it a go. I hadnt even considered it.

10. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Give CnC3 a try. It's not as deep as some of the more current RTS games out there, but it's still fun. The expansion pack comes out this month, also.

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Dune II: Building a Dynasty should be abandonware now and easy to pick up for free. I love carrying little abandonware games like that with me on a USB key so I can play them on the go.

Tags: