1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed Realtek Drivers uninstall themselves if I shutdown

Discussion in 'Software' started by sixfootsideburns, 2 Nov 2012.

1. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

So in the past 3-4 months I built an HTPC for my girlfriend and myself, and all in all it works pretty well. Every now and then it locks up but for the most part it just runs 24/7 and sits in under the TV. However... when it does lockup and requires a restart, when it boots back up the Realtek drivers are uninstalled...

If you shut down the computer (not using the restart option in windows), when you push the power button to turn it back on there will be no Realtek drivers. So you go to install them again, it prompts you to restart, and bingo... sound works fine.

We are running Windows 7 and using on-board sound/video with an HDMI cable communicating both signals to the TV. Thus far I have been 100% unsuccessful in finding any solutions online. Does anyone have any ideas? Its really frustrating because this has been a problem right from the get-go.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. sixfootsideburns

nobody has ever seen this before?

3. sixfootsideburns

does anyone even have any ideas of what I might try?

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The only thing i can think of is that your system rolls back to a previous recovery point.

5. m3rk

m3rk What's a Dremel?

was the drivers you downloaded corrupted at all? - just wondered if they didn't complete properly

6. sixfootsideburns

I dont think so, I've tried downloading it several different times and never had anything different than what I have right now.

I've found threads with people saying they had a similar problem to mine but I've never been able to find much in terms of a resolution. The only thing I've been able to come up with is that the Realtek audio driver is somehow incompatible with some other driver but I have no idea why. If all the boards drivers were designed to go together then why would they be incompatible?

7. Deders

Deders Modder

Bit of a longshot but is 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' ticked in the device properties?

8. sixfootsideburns

hmmm, I hadn't checked but I will do that when I get home from work. I agree its a long shot but stranger things have happened. Thanks for the tip though!

Anyone else have any thoughts?

9. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Check MSCONFIG. I've seen installers tack themselves in to startup so they end up uninstalling tghings when you reboot

10. sixfootsideburns

Well the Realtek HD Audio Manager IS in the startup but I'm not sure if that's a problem. I don't see anything else that looks strange. If I post a pick could you let me know what you think?

11. sixfootsideburns

So I'm still having this issue, and I've been scouring the web for about 4 months. Does anyone have any other feedback that might help me solve this problem?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! I'm getting a little tired of the problem for multiple reasons... one being that my girlfriend calls me everytime they need to be reinstalled when I'm not at home because she can't remember how :grr:

12. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Go to MSCONFIG and take a screenshot of all your startup items and post them here.
    I can practically guarantee that the uninstaller is in the startup items and uninstalls itself upon reboot.

13. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Alternatively try a fresh install of windows, might fix the locking up problem too?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

14. Droih

Droih Your too close if you can read this

When the computer boot, after BIOS/UEFI, press F8 and there disable driver signing and see if that solves the problem.