1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Rebuild with Intel Smart Response and poss in-place upgrade - doable?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ModSquid, 13 Jul 2020.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Active Member

Hey all!

New week, so want to get off to a good, productive start. Going to rebuild and reinstall the main box, based on some info I've been gathering from you helpful lot.

It's going to look like this (sketched out for now):
    • 500GB MX500 - new Win 10 install for general use
    • 250GB MX500 - new Win 10 w Ableton only
    • 256GB MX100 - Win 7 backup OS for when games don't work on Win 10
    • 3TB Barracuda - Steam install location and backups for other machines
    • 4TB Barracuda - to backup all of the above
    But I have two (I think simple) questions:
    • @sandys pointed me towards Intel Smart Response* previously, looking into this it seems like I'm going to try and use it for something it wasn't necessarily intended for but that to me makes sense so I'll ask anyway - can I use 64GB of the 500GB MX500 as IRST to speed up the 3TB Steam disk, PLUS install Win 10 on the MX500 to use as OS (without speedup, of course)?
    • if the MX100 already has Win 7 on but is becoming a bit clogged up, to save removing all the data and doing a clean install, can I do an in-place upgrade of Win 7 to refresh the OS without issues?
    If there's anything else I'm missing, grateful for all advice!

*EDIT: Apologies, I originally had this in as Rapid Storage Tech in error, along with the original title.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2020
  2. ModSquid

ModSquid Active Member

Right - in the absence of dissent, I think I'll plough ahead with the above plan...

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Active Member

Before I push the final switches and on the off-chance someone knows about this stuff, can anyone advise whether the Intel Smart Response Tech treats the cached SSD/HDD as a strict RAID volume, or just a temporary caching system?

I ask because it occurred to me that if I set it up and then at a later stage change the SSD out, for example (or swap the data drive for a bigger one), I have no idea whether I will lose access to any data as in a proper RAID 0 setup. I only say this because the Intel documentation seems to suggest the volume is treated in similar fashion to "proper" RAID, even though the concept would suggest otherwise.

Grateful for any advice!

4. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Yes you can use 64Gb of an existing SSD drive if partitioned and it will leave the rest for what every you decide.

Yes you can do an in place upgrade of OS and it works for the most part but be prepared for failure (backups etc just in case)

with RST you can disable later and reclaim drive, is an acceleration button, what I can't remember is if it creates and wipes partitions when you activate/deactive of of ot uses partition you already created, it was years ago I last used it.

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Active Member

Ah, cheers bud. In that case, I'll give it a go and use it as an experiment (with backups, of course).