1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Recommend me a 13-15" laptop which isn't a ULV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fruitloaf, 16 Jan 2014.

1. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

I'm looking for a 13-15" laptop my strong preference is for the 13-14" end of that. I will be using it for programming which will probably involve running some VMs and possibly some light gaming (DOTA2 level but this isn't that important). I've discounted all laptops with a ULV processor as I simply don't think they have the power (I'm replacing an old Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Dell that's lasted 4 years). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Must have:
    1080p screen
    Better than ULV processor
    >= 8GB ram
    Decent build quality
    Not heavier than 2.5kg
    Under £1000

Disregarded
    All the clevo models - they just look like they will fall apart

Top of my list
    Gigabyte P34G (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-012-GI)

2. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

The Gigabyte isn't looking that much better in terms of 'not falling apart' either.

For your budget anything with respectable spec on paper is probably a faller-aparter. To meet your functional reqs I'd go for an XPS 15 (750M) or a T440p (730M) or even a T550p, which will squeak into your 2.5Kg max. Both blow past your budget though, though the 440p can be had with lamo specs for within your budget.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2014
  3. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

Thanks for your suggestions.

For £1000 I'm certain you can get something half decent though - the gigabyte has as far as I've read no particular build issues and the keyboard/touchpad/screen are all acceptable it even has an aluminium lid and palm rest and looks half decent. Its replacing an old Dell Studio 1555 (http://www.trustedreviews.com/Dell-Studio-1555---15-6in-Laptop_Laptop_review) which although plastic has been solid enough. I treat my electronics well and after 4 years of heavy use it still looks almost as good as new.

I'd had a look at those options and aside from being over budget I feel the value is pretty poor. You probably get a more solid chassis but the gigabyte has a better processor, graphics and is thinner and lighter while being over £200 cheaper.

4. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

You get what you pay for. The Gigabytes are comparatively poorly built whatever plate aluminium they stick over it, runs hot, runs throttled, runs noisy.

However if you've never had anything decent, it may not register or be an issue. I guess it's all about relatives. I picked up a Studio 15 as a disposable machine for some dev testing a while back and I remember thinking it was a better example of the breed, but still very clearly an entirely disposable cheapo lump. My memory is fuzzy going back that far, but I'd say on balance that the Gigabyte will be harder to live with than the Dell.

I mean if you're concerned about Clevo then don't bother with a Gigabyte would be my advice. The Lenovo T is an entirely safe bet on that score, but the GPU is weak. There are other options which delivers the spec punch of the Gigabyte but they'd be either over your weight target by a couple of hundred grams because they're 15-inchers, or lesser specced on paper as in the case of the Dell (though with the Dell, you are getting a WQHD+ touchscreen, which I personally find handy).

5. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

I've worked with a lot of different laptops in a previous job providing IT support and to be honest things like the T440 are just built like a tank but then suffer from being heavy and bulky as a result.

The weight limit and cost aren't really negotiable - I find my Dell already as heavy and bulky as I would want in a laptop.

Its a shame but there seem to be very few laptops with decent CPUs now even 15" laptops often use ULV parts.

The next closest machine that meets my requirements would be a Mac Pro 13" which I could get with an educational discount making it pretty close to my budget however the complete lack of any upgrade options mean I've vetoed it.

6. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

The T440p is sub-2kgs. The XPS 15 is 2Kgs. The 15-inch T550p is 2.5Kgs on the nose.

The MBP13" is a form over function exercise, as with most things Apple. The screen res isn't high enough to make it truly useful as a super high resolution screen in that pixel doubling only gets you a 1280 * 800 virtual screen (the Dell is virtual 1600 * 900 at 200%). And Iris is in all honesty kind of useless - it's not a big enough or supported enough leap over the Intel 4x00 IGP's to make it worthwhile. Functionally it's really not that much better IRL than the IGP on my Duo 13 for example. And the only CPU options are dual-core U's. Are you sure you know what you want?

7. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

Apparently 2.2kg and is still 50% thicker than the Gigabyte (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440p-20AN-006VGE-Notebook.108423.0.html) and it still is above my budget. It does have great battery life though however while that would be nice its not a deciding factor for me.

I'd say the resolution is close enough to 1080p that I'd be happy running at native and increasing the DPI. The CPU is a 28W one rather than a 15W part - I hadn't realised they were still "U" parts rather than "M" ones - Intels naming scheme is a bit odd around this point. The graphics I'm sure are enough to play a bit of DOTA and primarily this is for working. Even a 760M is going to be too slow to play many games on in a couple of years hence why I'm focussing on getting a CPU that will last.

8. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

440p, weight depends on config - it does start from sub-2Kgs. It seems like you're set on the Apple then. Since you're moving up from a basic machine I guess anything is an improvement - even a trinket like the MBP.