Windows Recommend me a game: never asked before...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by harveypooka, 26 Jan 2009.

1. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

I need a game!

I like epic games - Mass Effect, Stalker, Fallout 3, Deus Ex. Ones that have story, atmosphere, ones that change your perception of how games can be. Games with mystery.

Doesn't have to be new, but preferably FPS. PC only!

Vague as hell? Yes, sorry. I'm just lost as what to play.

Help!

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Mafia, it's not FPS but as the new one is coming out (soon?) go play a classic epic game if you haven't already :)

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

The Operative: No One Lives Forever

Not so much mystery, but epic playtime. About as long as Deus Ex with a good, if not comical, story.

4. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Fahrenheit and Pathologic.

Both could have a better gameplay, but the story really is drawing you in. Both no FPS though.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Seconded for Mafia: epic story and generally a great game - far better than GTA.

6. naokaji

naokaji whatever

+1 for Mafia.
    Also GTA Vice City (still the best gta in my opinion) and HL2 + episodes, you could also give the original Fallout a go or System Shock 1+2 ( I realize the last three are really old, but they are still among the best games ever).

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

No One Lives Forever one and two are good if you like a long, funny shooter with an epic feel and lots of different play styles.

Failing that, the Thief series are fantastically atmospheric and moody and epic and just OMGWTFAWESOME.

8. harveypooka

I've consumed the HL series! And Fallout too, the first being my favourite.

System Shock - never played, will check out.

Since there are a lot of people saying Mafia, I'll check that one out too! :)

Thanks all! :D

9. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Mass Effect is probably the most epic game I've ever played, so I doubt I could recommend anything better in that sense.

That being said...

- If you haven't played some old (by modern standards) classics like Knights of the Old Republic or Fable, both of those are highly recommended.

- If you don't mind getting lost, Oblivion is a decent choice.

- If your definition of 'epic' doesn't include a strict minimum campaign length, play some Call of Duty 4. As much of an immense fan of the HL series I am, CoD4 is still the biggest six or seven hour long rush of pure adrenaline I've ever played.

- Diosjenin -

10. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

FPS: Bioshock, No One Lives Forever, Half-Life series, COD 4(mini-stories in one big story)

3rd Person: Max Payne, Mass Effect, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

11. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Seconded.
    Although I prefer Thief 3 (aka Thief: Deadly Shadows) for ease of play, I wasn't such a fan of the first two.

Also, HL2+episodes is a properly good collection. Especially as I think the price is pretty low now.

12. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

Counter Strike?...

Can't think of much not mentioned, Far Cry 2 might tickle your fancy.
    But seriously, Counter Strike is epic, but probably not what you are after

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

If you've not played System Shock 2 then, by the sounds of it, you will love it.

14. harveypooka

I've played Max Payne, Oblivion...I hated CoD4 (read this if you want to know why)...

I am tempted by Far Cry 2, but I'm not that interested in titles that are "the most amazing sandbox experience ever" which really equates to "kill anything in anyway that you want". MEH! :)

15. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Watch this first.
    It's scarily accurate.

16. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Avoid farcry 2, it'll make you cry alright, it's crap :p

17. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

another for mafia here -- brilliant game :D

really, really looking forward to the sequel.

18. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

I read the CoD4 bit. Your first problem is being exposed on a console. Even if a game was designed for a console, 99.9% of the time it will be better on a PC, period. It will look better, respond better, etc., etc. It may have been designed for a console for the money, but some people like it with joysticks. As long as we keyboard and mouse people get our cut of the meat, I'm quite content to leave console players alone in their ignorance. :p

A lot of the complaints you have about CoD4 apply to the series as a whole. Auto-healing and linear levels have been around since... well, at least CoD2, when I started playing. They're not my favorite way of going about things, either (I'm much more a fan of medkits myself), nor does that make them "right," but that's not CoD4's problem so much as it is the CoD franchise itself. Some people like medkits, some people like auto-healing. You like medkits, and that's fine.

"On rails" is actually a great way to describe the game - and it's precisely why I feel compelled to call it the biggest six or seven hour adrenaline rush I've ever experienced. The difference between HL2 and CoD4 is the difference between Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster. One is an adventure, and the other is simply a ride. HL2 (and Millennium Force, for the record) will probably always hold that special place reserved for the most epic encounter of its kind I or most anyone else could imagine. But sometimes you don't need the full sense of wonder and discovery and intent that come along with being a true masterpiece of the genre. Sometimes you just want to hold on to the edge of your seat and let the ride blow you away.

- Diosjenin -

19. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

COD4 put you into the war way better than previous titles. You felt like part of a team and not the lone wolf with AI sidekicks. Some of the features/parts felt real. ex The intro mission when you put on your mask and repel down. It gave me the creeps on how real it was, having repelled from UH-60s myself.

20. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Sorry for the bumpage,

just remembered another classic, Beyond Good & Evil