1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Recommend mechanical keyboard 75% swappable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 8 Jun 2023.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

My Durgod Hades 68 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Gateron Brown switches has a faulty 'I' key which frequently fails to register keystrokes. I'm in Beijing so I will try to find a shop that can fix it but it would be nicer if I can just pop in a new switch. I've gone through a number of cheap mechanical keyboards. I've even bought several at once to try out different switches and layouts. I really like the 75% and love the weight and feel of the Aluminium Chassis.

I'm looking for recommendations 75%, Aluminium Chassis, swappable, RGB ... preferably something pre-assembled with all the lube and everything else done for me. I'm buying in China.

Also, recommendations for a quality linear switch. Are the Holy Panda or Halo Trues considered the best?

The Keychron Q1 QMK Custom is available but I'm wondering what are other good options.

Durgod Hades 68 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

[​IMG]

2. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I’d probably just go with the Keychron to be honest. In my experience decent enough build quality without breaking the bank.

But, regarding switches both Holy Pandas and Halo True are tactile switches, rather than linear.

There are a lot of linear switches out there that are pretty good. But some are silly expensive. I’ve always been a fan of Alpacas, NK Creams are quite nice, I’ve some Gateron Black Inks which are very smooth but a heavier spring weight. JWK are generally regarded as making good linear switches.

But switches are totally about personal preference. So it might be worth ordering a switch sample set so you can try a different bunch and see what you think.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  3. silk186

silk186 Derp

Surprisingly, I managed to get the faulty switch repaired at a local cellphone repair shop, despite the guy not knowing anything about mechanical keyboards. He took it apart, cleaned it, desoldered the switch, took it apart, lubed and bent the contact pin and put everything back together.
    The Keychron doesn't look bad, but other than being swappable I feel it is more of a sidegrade than an upgrade.

This one looks decent and I get the knob which is a plus but if I'm upgrading I want something a bit more premium. Reviews are, it's good for the price. I would like to try something that is a step up. I do like the blue anodized aluminium though.
    [​IMG]

Arboreal likes this.
  4. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

The swappable bit is nice. My CU65 is playing up, occasionally it stops working and I have to unplug and replug it and it starts working again.

The other thing it has done is revert to the stock firmware so my CTRL and Windows key have swapped over and that's doing my nut in. It is a real pita to flash and the manufacturer went bust so no more support.

Picked up a 2nd hand qmmk TKL, I'll be able to transplant my awesome zilent V2 switches over and be up and running in no time!

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

My keyboard was completely failing so I finally pulled the trigger and ordered what appears to be a Chinese exclusive Keychron Q1 Pro in purple. I had to go with box switches as browns were sold out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VictorianBloke likes this.
  6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I could never live without an END key, which is why I haven't and won't be getting a V10, which is a shame. The next closest thing is the Feker Alice 75 which is silly money and always out of stock.

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

It's a shame as it has room for an end key. The sound is really good and I'm looking forward to trying different switches.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm using a Q8 Alice, and it has a Home but no End - so I've mapped Fn1+Home to End.

silk186 likes this.
  9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm just so used to having the PG UP, PG DN, HOME ,END keys right at the edge of the keyboard on this K3, I'd really like to get an equivalent alice with those 4 keys and an F row