1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Recommend powered USB hub

Discussion in 'General' started by silk186, 14 Oct 2020.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

It seems that everything charges by USB these days, I guess it saves money because they don't need to include a wall wart. Anyways, I have a pile of different USB wires with proprietary connector for charging my wife toys. Last night I tried charging 2 at the same time but it didn't seem to work. I was using a 4 port hub with an extension wire to my desktop. I also noticed my wireless mouse stopped working. I charged ports on the motherboard and it started working again. Not a good sign as it indicates I was drawing too much power. Is this likely to damage the motherboard or does it have a safety cutoff?

I'm looking for recommendations on a USB powered hub, data is not required. Seems lots of options with 6-10 port and 30-60w. It will sit on a nightstand to charge phones, iPad, Kindle, headphones and whatever else needs charging. I think I will get a second to put next to my computer to charge all my devices as well. I want to be small, reliable and most importantly have a removable cable so that I can get one of appropriate length for cable management.

I see a few options from Anker (1) (2) for around £30 and one from RAVPower for £16. Does anyone have advice?

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

RSHTech 7 Port or 4 Port?

I have a few of these. They're pretty basic but work well. Each port is individually switched and has a blue indicator light.

silk186 likes this.
  3. legoman

legoman breaker of things

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

The answer to this sort of question is usually Anker.

5. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

I had the same last year and went for the Anker PowerPort 60 W 6-Port. If you don't need Data they are great, Atm a pi zero, pi 3b and my tablet with 2 charging cables on my desk for phones.

silk186 likes this.
  6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I bought that 60w six port one in 2016, and it's still going fine. The lady and I use it for charging phones overnight. I also have a USB lamp plugged into it, and she sometimes charges some other stuff on it.

I also have two or three of the four port 27w chargers, one of the five way 60w USB-C PD jobbies that primarily charges Xbox controllers and the Switch, one of the 63w 5 port jobbies that I've got in a desk drawer that mostly charges stuff around the PC. Wireless headphones, work phone, controllers, etc. I think there's a couple of the twin chargers floating about the place too. I also have one of their portable power bank things, which has also been fine and dandy for multiple years.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I would get one with a usb c pd charging ports, great for high power phones, tablets and laptops it can do upto 60-100w on the one port as well as powering other things, I have a couple unfortunately I can't find a link to what I have, there are similar.

cost is a bit higher mind you but gets you fast charging etc on compatible tablets/pc and phones.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2020
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I agree with the answers suggesting Anker.

A unit with USB-PD charging would definitely be handy for the future, but once you start getting into all the various different Type C cable and PD specifications it becomes a bit of a rabbit's warren. It look me ages to find a truly universal power bank that can charge my phone, micro USB devices, my laptops, and the Switch. (I have this one, btw, and a 60W dual port Anker mains adaptor. My company laptop would prefer 65W so it does complain that you're using an underpowered charger, but it will charge just fine)

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Weirdly their PD range is lacking, IMO. Back when I used a Surface on the regular, I was looking for a portable Anker product that'd deliver the power required, and nada. Doesn't appear to have changed much, either, which is mildly disappointing.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I should have posted some links

USB PD has been pretty good the only failure I have found is my Samsung phone which uses PPS for fastest charging, though I see wome support that now, I still get fast charging but only something like 25w instead of 45w which is midly annoying but still higher than the 18w of the more basic ones in original post above and can power my switch, my thinkpad and the missus Ipad pro at good speed, the only problem I have is not enough high powered ports on these adaptors and when you've been using the fast stuff going back on a slow port is very much yawn :(

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nekteck-Charger-Delivery-Compatible-MateBook-Black/dp/B07PZFW8WY

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Charger-Type-C-MacBook-iPhone-Black/dp/B0865TQ5RR

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082KYB4QK

Of course, perhaps you need to upgrade your PC :p get some strong usb3.1 ports on it, there you go purchase justification for a new Ryzen :D

Last edited: 16 Oct 2020
  12. silk186

silk186 Derp

Thank for all the suggestions, I ended up going with the Anker 10 port 60w. It's compact, looks really nice, replaceable figure 8 lead and no power brick. I saw some 100w units but they all had power bricks. This is something I can slip in my bag when we travel. I also ordered a 2 port wall unit for charging my phone and iPad, but those charge overnight so I don't care about charging speed.