1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling recommendations please :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JLevine, 6 Sep 2005.

1. JLevine

JLevine What's a Dremel?

I am planning a pretty big project which involves... you guessed it WATER COOLING :). It will be my first modded case and I just want to make sure I have the right hardware to represent my case idea (ie. best of the best). I plan to use cooling for EVERYTHING (cpu/2 video cards/mb/2-3 harddrives).

Can someone recommend a setup of some kind that would cool these components the best?
    FX-57 or 4800+ X2
    2x 7800GTX KO
    2x raptor hd's + 1x storage drive

I was thinking maybe a dual water cooling system (basically 2 of every component, if needed).

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=142&cat=26&page=1

Would 2 of those be sufficent?

2. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Why do you want to water for?

1. Best cooling potential to overclock?
    2. Best cooling for silence?
    3. Best cooling for cool looks?

There is a myriad of water cooling components suppliers around and some are better than others depending on which one of the 3 above you are doing!!.

What case is it going in?

1. Big one?
    2. Small one?
    3. Custom one?

Be specific as most people would know and /or have had experience, no point asking us to pick out a dual loop Danger Den 1/2" setup if you are intending to use a really small and cramped case!!!!

What motherboard are you using?

Some specific NF4 motherboards only have a choice of 1 or 2 northbridge water cooling blocks that will fit... no point in suggesting on for you as we don't know what mobo you are using!!!

Sorry for the rant and harsh nature of this reply, but there are so many options that listing all of them would be pointless and time wasting... just do a bit of homework or be more specific about your requirements.

About your question.. only one 1260 is enough. That pump is very big and very powerful.

About your proposes cooling setup.. if you decide on 1/2" there will be no compatible HDD coolers without a drop in performance... but that depends on whether you go for option 1,2 or 3.. like I said... do some homework or give some info!

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Sep 2005
  3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Although J-Pepper's reply may seem a bit abrasive, he is basically right.

People frequently ask us to "recommend a setup" on the barest of information. We can't. What setup is best depends, as J-Pepper indicates, on:
    - objective/purpose of watercooling
    - components to be cooled (inc. motherboard)
    - case you are trying to fit it in
    - your budget
    - and to a certain extent, your modding prowess.

If you need to ask a general recommendation, you are not ready yet. You need to do a lot more reading. Basic questions such as: "parallel or in series?", "fans blowing or sucking?", "where do I put the res?" etc. have already been answered many, many times and can be called up with a simple forum search.

Not until you pretty much have the whole loop worked out is it time to ask questions: "Is this particular setup the best way to do it for what I in particular am trying to achieve?", or: "which block is better, this one or that one?".

Watercooling is not for the ignorant. I have said this many times. If you want to drive a car, you do not just need to drive it and fill up the tank, you also need to know the basics of how it works. You need to know why it is important to top up the oil and coolant (and what it means if they go down rather fast), to check tire pressure (and when), what is the correct tire pressure and when/why it needs regular servicing. You need to know when the timing belt needs replacing. You need to know about worn brake pads.

With PC watercooling it is the same. It is not enough to build a setup from rote, because inevitably there will be complications which you will need to know how to solve. You need to know how to maintain the thing. Only you can know your rig, inside and out.

So go read up, young Padwan. And be patient.

4. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Well as all these so called Newbys are asking the questions, Nice one there nexxo vallanteering go make a FAQ which i thought Bit was working on but i've not seen a single thing yet, coolmiester has done more and he's not even a mod.

I've given up on ranting about the poticular person in question and just give em what they want it doesn't take 2 seconds.

10mm
    Look at inovatek blocks or check out Sc4mpi's Project he has the same setup that you are suggesting.
    or
    go down the 1/2" side and check out Coolmiesters project i would link you but you can use the search im sure.

That is my good deed for the day :), right now go off and look at the PROJECT LOGS forum and there are many experienced people there who have watercooled there computers, check out Sc4mpi, Nexxo, Coolmiester my project too if you like and see what you can pick up from them. Sc4mpi would be a prime example however as he has a 4400 X2, 2 7800GTX's and 3 HDDs with a single BIP triple.

Good luck

Morgan.

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

try here to start with. :D

6. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

As some of this is true yes, the driving is a bad example as you do not need too know how too top up the oil or washer fluid or even where the spark plugs are too drive a car but in watercooling you do need too know what is best for what setup and how too configure it maybe you should of said you don't just throw ingrediants into a pot and cook for 30minutes and hope a cake pops out.

morgan.

7. Nexxo

The FAQ is getting to be quite big and well beyond forum format. Moreover I do not have Coolmiester's toys to play with (nor his sort of time, apparently). As such I stickied Coolmiester's excellent research for starters. However you are right to wonder what has happened to the FAQ and I shall put up what I've got soon, but keep in mind it is still very incomplete.

The cooking analogy is a nice one, btw. I'll keep that in mind. The car one is not as imapprpriate as you think though, but I won't go into that here.

However it is not as simple for him as looking at project logs --it may result in even more questions rather than answers. The problem is that this does take much, much more than 2 seconds...

8. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

well TBH if you imatate someone you can get equal if not the same results its not hard too buy a bunch of parts and plumb them together, everyone makes watercooling sound really hard. If he was too buy the same kit as Sc4mpi he would be able too plumb it in and make it work with out any other knowledge into it. From alot of the posts on here people try too scare people off from doing watercooling its not hard and with a bit of common sense you can create a good enough loop, i did it the interesting way i bought my first looop put it together then played with it after that, thats wher ei started watercooling and since this day have stayed with it.

Although saying this me and sc4mpi did see a prime example of a very un experienced guy at the last lan we attended he had bought the huge Aquacomputer rad with 16fans on it and was trying too bleed his system and was doing it all wronge and even with our advice he still didn't do it right and spent an entire day mesinga round with it don't know if he got it right int he end we just left him he also didn't have a GFX card so we shall leave him lol .

I think the best thing you can do is just point them in the right direction and hope that they find there feet they can alwasy buy all the bits put it together if they have the common sense too check everything and leek test it for a day or so or we cans it here and say no you don't want too do this, we could also send them off too a thousand different forums it still doesn't mean there going too listen and take our advice scroll up for a prime example.

morgan.

9. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

for that sized case u could get away with a

1/2"

danger den d5 pump

maze 4 low profile sli kit.

swifteck storm

3x coolriver hd blocks

bix tripple :)

daul bay res

10mm

Innovatek xx-flow

2 innovatek 7800 blocks

3x hd o matics

2x hpps pumps

bix tripple

2 header tanks or a tank o matic

10. Nexxo

Isn't that what we did?
    But isn't that what we sort of suggested?
    OK, now you appear to be saying that there is no point trying to explain anything. You appear to be contradicting yourself now.

Look, feel free to add any constructive advice you think may help this guy out. I also take on board your comment about the FAQ (although I think you misunderstand the role of Moderator a bit --it is not our role to provide all the answers --community members like Coolmiester, and you, incidentally, can do that just as well). However you can criticise and analyse how we approached his question and how we hould have approached it in some detail, but I think we'd both agree that this will not help him any. So let's limit posts in this thread to helping him.

In that respect DaRudeBaboon's link is a very good one and highly recommended reading. :thumb:

11. JLevine

JLevine What's a Dremel?

Well as for case size, I am going to use the full tower lian li pc-v2100b. I would prefer 1/2" tubing, harddrive cooling isnt the most important thing i suppose. My biggest concern is performance while overclocking, silence is the last concern. And of coarse cool looks is always important :)

My mobo is going to be a DFI Lanparty SLI board.
    Would this setup be able to meet my demands?

2x Innovatek Fass-O-Matic
    2x Eheim 1260 (600GPH each)
    Danger Den RBX - AMD 1/2" ID Water Block
    Danger Den MAZE4 Chipset Block - 1/2" ID Fittings
    Danger Den Maze4 SLI GPU Water Cooling System - 1/2" ID High Flow Fittings

I am not sure on a radiator yet, could I get some suggestions (2-3 high).

12. Nexxo

Make sure the chipset block fits on your motherboard. However a passive Zalman passive heatsink may do just as well, and remove the restriction this block can contribute to a loop.

One pump (and res) is enough. You don't really need two loops --just complicates things unnecessarily. A Laing D4 M5 will do just as well and can be connected to a molex.

Consider the Swiftech Storm instead of the DangerDen RBX.

In terms of rads, think BIX3 although a couple of dual Heatercores would be the daddy.

13. JLevine

JLevine What's a Dremel?

isnt it logical with the dangerden rbx and its 2 outlets that the processor would be cooled faster and more efficent?

BTW: For this project price doesnt matter.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2005
  14. JLevine

JLevine What's a Dremel?

Also I have found out Alienware uses koolance parts and Voodoo uses swiftech parts. Can anyone give me some insight into koolance/swiftech quality/performance?

15. Nexxo

The Swiftech Storm is a design licenced to Swiftech by an amateur (well, professional, really) block maker called Cathar. Cathar is one of the gods of watercooling. His is currently the best block on the market for 3/8" and 1/2" systems, bar none. If price doesn't matter, you can get the solid silver version for about $500,-- (I think).

Koolance is a more generic small-bore design with a much more modest performance.

16. JLevine

JLevine What's a Dremel?

Thank you nexxo, so I suppose swiftech is more designed towards high flow?

Also for the solid silver version, could I possibly get a link to his website? (Does silver cool better than copper?, or is the silver version just for the bling effect?)

17. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

oh and scrap the 1260 ITS HUGE!!! go for a DDC or a D5 much smaller and 12v :)

morgan.

18. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

LRWB < Cathers home page and yes Silver has better cooling properties then copper but it cost alot more and is harder too machine due too it being softer i believe.

morgan.

19. Nexxo

Moreover, the silver will only gain you a degree or two at the very best.

20. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

as mdk said ditch that pump. as it will be quite a tight fit in a v2000 :O get a d5 or if u still want to do a dual loop setup 2 d5's there not the quitest thing on the planet. They give off a high pitched squeel.. if not 2 modded ddc pumps would also be good :) and i would say ditch the fass o matics as if u want 1/2" then look at a dual bay res with high flow fittings :)

Tags: