1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Recover Vista from partition or install Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by dogdude16, 28 Mar 2011.

1. dogdude16

dogdude16 What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone, I'm fixing my friends laptop and for some reason windows has gone haywire. Its a sony laptop so I could use the recovery partition and recover vista. The other option would be to go the campus computer store and buy a copy of windows 7 for $20. My reason for consider buying windows 7 is that is may provide a boost in the battery life and most importantly, I think the laptop will run a lot smoother with windows 7.

So should I get my friend to buy windows 7 or should I just recover vista?

Thanks!

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

if it was me, i would shell out the $20 for a copy of 7. for that price there really isn't any reason not to upgrade.

3. sWW

sWW Minimodder

I've installed Win 7 on laptops previously running Vista and seen vast performance gains. +1 for upgrading.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i'd upgrade as well

5. poollard

poollard What's a Dremel?

Upgrade it dude tbh I wouldn't even think about Vista

6. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Just had the same Vista reinstall to do on my Mum's PC, even if the Vista on the laptop is SP1 you're looking at a decent 150 Win updates after that in total with SP2 to follow, then whatever drivers might have been updated since the laptop was new. Plus you haven't time to do the CSI on the install to see if he had a virus or whatever.

For 20 bucks, (plus the fact his data's gone anyway unless you can still access it, in which case USB stick backup time) get him up to Win 7 but actually, if he never ran any Sony Backup Utility to create a Vista fallback DVD, use the recovery partition and do that anyway even though you're moving him on by one.