1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Red Alert 3, Regarding EA

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Lemmingzappa, 26 Oct 2008.

1. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

I was planning on pre-ordering this game, but now remembering it's an EA game, should I change my mind ?

I know there's the whole DRM problem, and also i've heard about some EA spyware or something ?

2. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I can't find the thread right now but Chris Corey, the producer of RA3 explained the DRM in the game. Basically, you have a whole bunch of install credits you can use. You can install it up to 5 times I think. Every time you uninstall it you get a credit back. Even if you do run out of credits all you have to do is call EA and they will be very understanding in giving you install rights back. With this DRM you don't ever need to have the disc in the drive to play the game. Finally, in a future patch whenever EALA feels it's a good time, they are going to patch the DRM out of the game completely.

Basically it's very very unobtrusive DRM and it shouldn't be a reason not to get the game. It's not "spyware" or anything of the sort.

EDIT: Here it is http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?messageID=4362815&#4362815

3. Lemmingzappa

Thanks, ok the DRM isnt as bad as I originally thought.

But the reason I mentioned spyware is because I was looking at RA3 on amazon, and somebody had made a comment about EA using your personal data to keep track of what games you're playing etc.... could be untrue.

4. Neogumbercules

Yeah I don't think that's true. At least I haven't heard anything about it.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Then what the hell is the point in it? Seems like throwing money away to me.

6. Lemmingzappa

how does the DRM actually work, i'm assuming it's a server-side log ?

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I shall try and ask David Silverman for you on Thursday if you like, hopefully meeting him and some of the cast of RA3.
    However, if what neo has said is true, it doesn't sound all that bad, my problem would be the uninstalling of the game, as when i re-install windows, i just format, after i move everything i wanted first obviously.

Sam

8. Neogumbercules

When you run the game for the first time after an install is checks their authorization servers to make sure you're still running it on the same machine. If you do, you're good to go. If not, and you've already used it on up to 5 machines, the game won't run until you either call customer support to get it authorized or...I guess you're boned. Seems acceptable. Again, this is not a per-install authorization. You have 5 authorizations on your machine specifications not based on the game itself. That means you can install it and unisntall it as many times as you want. As long as your hardware doesn't change drastically you never need to use up a second authorization. This is similar to the copy protection in Windows Operating Systems. Not ideal, but better than DRM implementation has been in the past.

9. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

Ok so from what i read there are improvements and for that i am glad. But regarding this deautheriseation tool. If your motherboard dies, you get it RMA'd and reinstall everything back up an running, can u still use that deauth tool to deauth your 'old' computer even though its not there? I can't see that happening and it doesnt seem right. I agree with some others comments that 5 auths a year is a better way to go. if said scenario happens then a year down the line you automaticaly get that autherisation back. That seems a much better system to me. I would also prefere to have to have the disc in the PC to run rather than some of the other DRM measures being taken.

Echoing others comments. Why can't EA see that impossing this level of DRM is making more and more people not buy the game and download it instead so they can get around the crippling DRM issues. As such a big CNC fan i will be buying RA3 but the DRM makes me question that choice and it certainly turns me away from other games that don't have the same apeal for me

10. Neogumbercules

If you consider what I described as a "crippling" DRM issue then it just sounds like you're over reacting a little. It really isn't that bad and I highly doubt most people will even notice it. Besides that, the amount of people that will actually experience problems with this type of DRM is going to be so minute. And even then, what are the chances that your computer is going to blow up FIVE times? This whole DRM issue is being blown completely out of proportion as far as I'm concerned. In some games, yes, the DRM goes overboard. In RA3 though, it's a minor measure that has little to no impedance on the average user. Just look at it this way. If RA3's DRM ends up being well-received and works for EA, maybe they will consider implementing these minor measures on more games that they publish. That would definitely be a good situation for us, the gamers, because DRM is not going away so its best to look for a reasonable compromise.

11. Lemmingzappa

Pre-Ordered :D

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I fail to see how this is any different from bioshock, spore or any of the others. It installs a programme which is very difficult to remove which is nearly completely hidden from the user (rootkit esque) it is at the behest of ea that you continue to play a game which you have paid good money for through either them being kind enough to both keep their servers running and or allowing you to get extra installs if you run out.
    It comes down to trust. Do you trust EA to either patch the game later on after it has stopped making them money when there is no motivation to do so or do you trust them to leave these authentication severs on line for the next 10 years. Do you trust Securom to patch the software in a timely manner if a security problem appears for it or to release a tool to remove their product.

13. naokaji

naokaji whatever

+1 and fallout 3 as well.
    First far cry 2, now red alert and fallout 3, then soon gta 4 pc, cod world at war, left 4 dead, nfs undercover, atleast then we will get a break until february to actually play them xDD then the madness starts again with sc 2, mafia 2, wolfenstein 3, dawn of war 2 and a new splinter cell.

Well, atleast noone can say pc gaming is dead during the next 4 monthes:D

14. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Even if it had such crippling DRM, it's RA3!
    Need more be said? :p

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Don't forget Empire Total War at the start of feb

16. Neogumbercules

It's no where near as strict as the Bioshock DRM was when it came out, or the Spore DRM.

17. Major

Major Guest

What's everyones view on this game then?

Sarting to get good at it now, taking some time as I haven't played C&C for a while. :)

18. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I am enjoying it, i played a few games online with a friend to get used to the graphics side of it, then went through the tutorials, learned some keyboard shortcuts and all about the new stuff in the game, and fair to say i like it alot! Its a hell of a lot of fun, just havent played C&C for a long time either, probably not since yuri's revenge.

Sure i owned Generals, but thats no where near the same as this.

Oh and this game looks LUSH. Runs well too.

19. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm having issues with it, to be honest. Nothing story, art, or general feel wise. Also, no issues with DRM what so ever. Installed, patched, runs fine.

Just technical. Every second mission it loads nothing but street lights. The sad thing is, the first time it happened, I got through the mission like it, thinking I'd just missed something in the briefing..

I don't think I'll be able to play the Allies much more, I'm loving this 'version' of Tanya too much..

Tags: