1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Red Arrows Crash

Discussion in 'General' started by samkiller42, 20 Aug 2011.

1. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Unfair that things went as bad as they did :rolleyes: It's not like just because he knew the risks, and took the risks, that he deserved the worst possible outcome at this age = unfair.

If he had been a Red Arrow's daredevil for the last 50 years or so, well maybe then you could say he got his fair share of fun before things went pear shaped.

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Well-Known Member

The BBC has an amature video here.

3. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

He was probably safer in his plane than in his car.

4. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

May God have mercy on his soul. RIP R4

5. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Member

BBC's saying he steered away from a residential area before ejecting too late. He probably saved lives, sacrificing his own. Definitely one of the best.

6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's amazing how many fatalities in air crashes are due to the pilot ejecting late to save lives.

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

RIP Red 4. A shame indeed.
    Combat jet pilots are some of the fittest people in the world, both physically and mentally. To be chosen as one of the VERY few to fly in performance crews makes you the cream of the crop.

The BBC reporting that he still pulled away from a residential are before crashing shows the stuff these guys are made of.

Some air squads to a maneuver to commemorate those lost where they do a flyby (with the replacement), and the position then breaks away from the squad and leaves in a different direction. I've seen a group of civilian pilots do that around here. Knowing what it mean makes it a sight that's somewhat hard to swallow.

8. Kurze

Kurze New Member

Watching that makes me wonder what went wrong with the craft. Can see it in trouble as soon as the camera pans back to it. The pilot would have known that as well, can only praise him for having the ability to stay in a doomed craft long enough to avoid a residential crash, especially as he'd have known the risks to himself.

9. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Drove past the crash site today as I have to pick up a client who lives a matter of a few hundred metres away from it. The area itself is scattered with houses here and there so he did incredibly well to miss all of them; a very selfless sacrifice.

Not so impressed at the taxi driver asking if I'd "seen any planes 'round here lately".

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Books of condolences are available to sign this week in Bournemouth Town Hall, and Library.
    Have a look here for Opening times, as well as other methods.

Sam