1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Red Black PSU Mod -- April 6 -- help?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by TheRedJew, 7 Apr 2008.

1. TheRedJew

TheRedJew What's a Dremel?

This is my first attempt at a psu mod and i like the results. I cut the whole for the window and put a, what they call red,
    piece of plastic behind it and put in a red fan then painted the case flat black. I was putting it back together and ran into
    a problem that i had been trying to ignore the whole time :worried: . The plastic i had installed turned out to be too wide and rubbed against the
    heatsinks not letting me put the top back on :jawdrop:

I need help with this one, im wondering if i can just chop off the top of the heatsinks and if so what tool i should use :dremel: ?
    I have a jigsaw, dremel, and thatz really it i could think of that would cut the alu. Dont really know how i would use the jigsaw but maybe
    someone can help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Eh you don´t really want to go about cutting heatsinks off your powersupply. They´re the size they are for a reason and if you take some of the metal away your psu might just overheat under a sustained heavy load. The best plan is to find a way to find your window in without having to modify the heatsinks.

3. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

Is there a way you can make the PCB any lower? or the red plexi/ plastic any thinner. I wouldn't recommend cutting the heatsink/s unless you know that they don't heat up very much under load (which isn't common in PSU's)

4. CobraMods

CobraMods Gettin there slowly

how thick is the piece of plexi you are using?

5. TheRedJew

yeah i dont know much about the temps in this power supply used for server only its just a POS i had around and modding it for a test..not that i dont want to use it anymore.

thatll be the next thing a check out if i can lower the PCB or rase the cover or some form of not cuttin off the heatsink

1/8" plexi

6. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Hmm, I wouldn't recommend on doing anything with the psu heatsinks either. Perhaps a good solution would be mounting the plexi on the outside of the psu instead. If you cut and file the design to just over size, you can flame polish the edges or bevel them for a nice finish and mount with clear double-sided tape or some sharp looking black screws. Wouldn't have to worry at all about internal clearance issues then.

7. TheRedJew

i really dont think this would work considering the plexi is 1/4" and the metal is (sry for switch is measuring system) maybe 1mm thick. Thank you for the feedback.

8. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

maybe try red coloured acetate sheeting instead of plexi? (the stuff used for overhead projectors etc) Should give the same red window look, but paper thin. Not sure about possible melting point though...

9. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Melting point shouldn't be a problem, those OHDs can get quite warm. As for the heatsinks don't cut em up, you could maybe cut a bit off the bottom of them, but leave the fins intact, then remount them onto the FETs.

10. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

i'd be less afraid of cutting off the heatsinks because of the heat dissipation and more afraid of having metal shavings go everywhere and cause a short. If you do cut them, be sure to take them out of the power supply case.

11. Scirocco

On the idea ChaosDefinesOrder has, maybe look into gel filters used in theatrical lighting. Those lights get pretty hot and the material itself is thinner than plexi I think.

12. TheRedJew

hmmm i don know if i have the budget to go buy more plastic. thank you alot for the advice cause im looking to get it fixed even though not using psu at moment. never heard of that type of material ill look into it, where would i find it?

13. Scirocco

Just Google Theatrical Gel Filters and you should come up with some online sellers. Could also look in your local yellow pages. There are always theatrical supply shops in most decent sized cities. You're just looking for gel filters of a particular color. And they're very inexpensive depending on the size you get.