1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Refillable coffee pods

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 28 Nov 2022.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My wife has a couple of simple machines, a Dolce Gusto mini and a Tassimo.

She's pretty happy with them but the pods are a little pricey.

There are reusable pods out there and I wondered if anyone has tried them as there's a lot seemingly identical ones from different makers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Just realised I had a similar thread but I didn't follow up on the advice. ( Only remembered after I posted this one)

2. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Tried a few over the years, main takeaway was they made my coffee taste different. stopped using pretty quickly, was better to just buy than save coffee pennies, wasnt worth the slight irk with the taste for me

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Had a Nespresso Vertuo machine and got a refillable pod due to expense and generally the coffee being very meh at best.

Pod allowed for better and cheaper coffee but took a while to get the pod right in a way the machine liked. The biggest downside was cleaning the pod out was a major faff especially when trying to make several cups. Kinda ruins the convenience of having a machine in the first place.

Like stephen0205 says the coffee tastes different. What was normally pretty solid coffee just wasn't right and tasted very watered down, kinda like an under extracted pour over

I found just using an aero press was just as quick for much better results. I'm also convinced that it sped up the machine breaking as we went through 5 machines in the space of 2 years. At least they were replaced by the warranty. The Dolce machines work differently to the vertuo ones so can't see them having the same reliability issues but something to look into.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I found the best solution to Nespresso Vertuo was simply to earn more.

stephen0205, BeauchN, Big Elf and 3 others like this.