1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Regedit to Memory OC BSOD's - a slew of problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by logan'srun, 21 May 2010.

1. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

As the title states, I've been having a mess of problems that have risen up in the last week or so.

I don't know where to begin as it seems to be everything is unstable right now, but I'll see if I can correlate my issues in a concise manner.

Problem 1
    My problems started when my MS Office 2007 failed to perform the latest update. The update has to do with Junk Mail Filter (KB981726). I tried to update and it failed. Over and over again. I kept getting error 1402 which references the inability to do something to a reg key called 'unknown' and then the parent id and child id.

Now, I have googled fu the bejeezus out of this error and was given some solutions that didn't work for me. I did methods 1-4, twice and couldn't get the update to install. Most of the search results kept pointing back to the MS support page and various articles , but they never worked. I even tried a manual install of the update but that met the same error path.

I then proceeded to run CCleaner and see if there was some bad keys that was causing issues for me and see if it could clean them out. Didn't work.

I then decided that I would uninstall Office and re-install it. Now, I didn't buy this software, I was given Enterprise by my friend who's company had extra keys and gave him permission to let me have one. Now I know, maybe that isn't super legit, but it was given to me in good honor from a legit source (he was my best man at my wedding fer crisssake!) with legit software and key. I see no harm in this.

Anyway, I uninstalled and tried to install the new edition (in case your wondering, my old edition came from the same source, but it's been like 2 years sine I last installed Office and had lost the original DVD he gave me), but I then encountered a NEW error : 1406 which was I was unable to write to the reg now. So install failed. And failed. After about the 5 install attempt I decided, OK, I'll visit some salty dogs and see if (un)legit copy would be any different. Nix trix here as well. Not a single copy would install. Now I was really fubarred as I need excel for my home computer because I hate working of my lappie.

I then ran across this fix : which seemed promising. Nope, I couldn't change any permissions in my registry, even though I followed the steps to the 'T'.

As a last resort, I read that several threads seem to relate reg issues as conflicts either from an infected system, or from your AV itself. Or some other third party software. So I tried first a clean boot and install. Nope. Turned off my AV (Panda Internet Security 2009). Nope. Dl'ed and ran AdAware and Malwarebytes to see if I was infected. Nothing. Ran another AV check with Panda. Nothing. Ran some free online AV checkers - nothing at all. So either my machine has a super bug that nobody has seen before, or it's as clean as a whistle. Still couldn't install.

My only solution at this point was to roll back to an earlier checkpoint and just ignore the update. I did a restore and that worked fine as I now have Office again, but am unable to load this junk mail filter update.

I gave up on Office for a few hours and saw that my Samsung Spica was eligible for Android 2.1. Great, I thought, I load up Samsungs (crappy) New PC Studio program to load the update, and it wouldn't recognize my phone. Irritating, but Samsung is known for this. So I did what I normally do with this program and I went to uninstall it and re-install. Guess what? I got some funky registry error (or bug) that prevented a complete uninstall of this program called 'RegDBgetKeyValueEx failed' so now when I try and install it, the installer loads as a UNinstaller instead and asks if I want to completely un-intsall this program. But it's already un-intsalled!!! I ran CCleaner's uninstaller, Handy Uninstaller, and even from the control panel in Vista, the program is not present anymore on my disk, but something is which makes the INstall Wizard believe I want to un-install it which becomes an infinite loop as I can never install this program but only un-install it.

Thank God for Odin and being able to hack Android as I have at least got the latest OS and firmware for my phone.

Now this all leads to my next problem.

Problem 2

During all this I started to get MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD's. Maybe they started earlier , but I'm associating them with with these reg issues. Anyway, started getting these random BSOD's and it's happened like 8-9 times now in the last 3 days.

So I ran MemTest for several hours. All 100% pass and no single errors.
    Ok, so I don't seem to have any mem issues (I believe) so I ran Prime then. Prime Blends ran for 3 hours no errors.

Well, given my level of frustration with all the reg issues I made the poor decision that I would play around with my OC a little (just to have something to do). So I sank the vcore to use less energy and sank the voltage a little on my ram as well. Booted and ran Prime again for 2 hours and everything seemed fine. Well, I decided that since this was good, I would try and get my DDR2 running at 1066 which is supposed to be default for my sticks, but they run best as 800's. I raised the FSB by 13 and changed the ratio to 1:1.25 instead of 1:1 like I've been running. To say the least, I was excited. I thought, well something good will come of 3 days of hell as I'll raise my OC to 3,7 and get my sticks at 1066.
    It wouldn't boot. I mean, it would POST , but then stop halfway and say 'BOOTMGR could't load as image is corrupt', and I was like 'Huh'? WTF is this now? To say that my heart stopped and I just was preparing myself for another OS install and hoping my wife wouldn't through the computer out the window, I thought I would at least go back and load my STABLE OC profile that has passed 22+hrs Prime of 'only' 3.6 ghz but the memory back to 1:1 and the voltages a little higher.

here I am booted and running. Guess it didn't like my small OC increase, but I don't understand what I'm doing wrong with this OC as my RAM should be able to run at 1066 with 5-5-5-15 timings with no probs. I've just never gotten there.

So, if anyone has tips/suggestions or better yet, solutions to either or both problems, I would be a very happy man.

here's my specs (everything is under water CPU, GPU + 2 rads)

e6850 @ 3.6Ghz (400FSB with 9 multiplier) at 1.39 vcore
    Abit IP35 Pro
    Corsair CM2X2048-8500c5d (Dominator's) at 2.1voltage
    Spinpoint F1 1TB is my boot drive and it has roughly 400GB's on it.
    Vista Ultimate 64

If there is anything else you need to know, please respond in thread.

I'll appreciate all and any help, and I apologize for the long post.

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I think the 1'st thing I would do is to restore back to before the office update went on then have a defrag and a good clean up, as for the ram try setting it to auto before overclocking and see how high you can crank up the cpu before it gets unstable. Then check the ram speeds and see if you can adjust it from there maybe a small voltage increase will stabilize it.

3. logan'srun

I restores all the way back before the update initially. I'm at a loss for the reg issues though.

Since I posted last night I've had 3 Memory_Management BSOD's. If my RAM passes Memtest for 3+ hrs, what else would be causing this BSOD? Can the slots on the Mobo be corrupted?

4. bulldogjeff

Try running the windows repair disc it might find some errors also try running the ram 1 stick at a time and see how that goes, it could be 1 of the sticks over heating and thats why it takes so long to start throwing up errors. If your registry is badly corrupted, you might have to do a fresh install. If you can, get a photo of the bsod and post it on here so we can see what error codes are being given, that would be a great help to diagnosing your problem.

5. logan'srun

I'll do that, what's crazy is I've switched the slots from 1-3 to 2-4 for the corsairs, I'm 3 hours into Prime Blend with Utottent, Itunes, Firefox (plus 8 tabs) Steam, Skype, MirC and VLC running a video trying to replicate the BSOD.

Nothing yet. Crazy huh? After I had written that last post I got another Mem_Management BSOD with just Torrrent and FF open. Now I have everything open except for Adobe suites with Prime running and it's stable as a table.

I'll keep my fingers crossed (or not) that we get lucky at some point.

6. bulldogjeff

Run a hard disc checker, it might be worth a try. When my laptop started playing up, I went through the usual checks and found nothing , but I was getting the same problems as you, I then worked out after a lot of messing about that the hard drive was on it's last legs.

7. logan'srun

I should have said that in the OP, I ran diskchecker and some other HD suites from Ultimate Boot and the HD turned back no errors or bad sectors. That was my first thought too. . . .

8. bulldogjeff

maybe you've got lucky, but like i said before try checking the ram running single sticks and see what happens

9. logan'srun

I think I did get lucky, or something. Prime Blends ran for 8 hrs yesterday at my previous stable OC of 3.6Ghz and I had 7 applications open and running to really stress Mem and CPU. Not a glitch. I even played 4+ hrs of CSS last night while surfing and was in 2 vent servers. Nada.

I'm hoping that changing the Ram slots did it - we'll see with time.

10. logan'srun

[​IMG]

Well, so much for the ram slots. Here's the latest BSOD. Again with the mem_management errors even though both sticks can do pass after pass in Mem test.

So now you have error codes, any suggestions?

11. bulldogjeff

I'm really having trouble finding this code, it's not a normal memory error code. At the moment the only thing I can think of is possible over heating ...Have you overclocked your CPU an the ram? Try running the ram on the auto setting and see how you get on. In the mean time I'll keep looking for that error code.