1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

registered and unregistered ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yellowmello, 2 Aug 2002.

1. yellowmello

yellowmello What's a Dremel?

hello all! I need some help. can you run registered ram with unregistered ram? I got 512 registered DDR ram and I want to get 512 more but I dont have the money right now to get the registered ram. thanks for the help all

2. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

are you talking about brand ram (samsung, crucial, ect) and generic ones?

if so, some times it works, other times it makes the systems freezing... that's what I've learned using generic and brand rams at the same times...

3. mctoby

mctoby What's a Dremel?

No it is not possible either replace the reg or buy another reg DIMM....

4. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

registered memory is generally for servers since they tend to require that type of memory. what makes they special is they have some kind of logic registers built in that do some kind of buffering. Been a long time since I have seen specs. I would say it is okay to mix and match it as long as the speeds match and it is either all registered or all not registered.

5. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

Never mix RAM. I don't even mix RAM Brands. The tolerences could be out just enough to case problems. I've had that happen.

But I'm also anal retenive with borderline obsessive compulsive tendencies.

6. yellowmello

yellowmello What's a Dremel?

What should I do then

ok let me ask all of you this. do you think I will see any thing going from 512 to 1024 ram. I do alot of photoshop and grafx programs and games. I have a 1800xp chip and k7 mother board
    I run raid 0 on two 30 gig drives and my main drive is a 14gig with my os on it. If Im not going to see that much out of 1024 ram im going to get two more hard drives and run raid 0 on 4 drives. I got a lil extra money to spend on my pc. lol

7. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses