1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Regular BSOD and Other Issues

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by sagittary, 3 Dec 2009.

1. sagittary

sagittary What's a Dremel?

Alrighty, here's the issue. As of late, my computer has been having an increasing amount of BSODs (once a few weeks but lately, once or twice a day) and what I can only assume are other issues related to whatever the problem is. Just before the BSOD, I'll spot some minor graphical artifacts (maybe a half second - I'll usually spot a half inch artifact on the screen just before it BSODs), it'll go to a BSOD and generally restart from the BSOD after another half-second (it varies here).

More often than not, after the Windows boot song, the login screen won't show up (or it may but it'll take at least a minute or two of just sitting at a black screen). It's still there (I can type in my password and get to the desktop); swapping monitor cords seemed to fix that (sorta).

It seems to happen when I'm doing too much with FireFox. Playing games seems to be fine, insofar as playing the game (it doesn't crash during games or anything) though after playing games, it may occur more often (hard to say... I game regularly). I usually leave FF running most of the time and lately have also been leaving Sims 3 (or the lunacher) running for extended periods. Perhaps relatedly, loading things seems to take longer than it has in the past.

I'm guessing it may be dying RAM though I'd love other opinions as, though I'd love the excuse, don't really want/can't really afford to buy a dozen parts and rebuild most/all of my computer.

Nothing had been overclocked or otherwise tweaked other than RAM - the motherboard had initially identified as slower than it was suppose to be. After the second set of RAM I had went bad, I turned it back to the slower speed - I suppose all the RAM may have been bad at that time but for this set, it was more minor and didn't show up until now.

Thanks in advance.