1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote control, via internet

Discussion in 'General' started by fg0d, 11 May 2004.

1. fg0d

fg0d Banned

I want to run a micro RC car in a small penned up box with LED's. The LED's I don't care about right now. I want users, at home... To be able to control the car, and possibly much smoother than other people. I have no idea where to start, so I turn to you folks. Help me if you can :D

Thanks, blan.

2. Rombus

Rombus What's a Dremel?

Ahh, i ALWAYS loved this on the internet! Search for webcam robots or telerobotics on google, and you will find some examples of what others have did (some are still up). Basicly what your looking at is a custom java application taking input from your usesers and outputing to a serial port or usb if ya wanted to get fancy! sorry i cant help you any more than that, but GOOD LUCK! and Do it and post pics and the link so we can play around with it!

3. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

4. fg0d

fg0d Banned

nt jesse, didn't help much. I have a few online rovers and whatnot on now, but I want this to work. And power is an obstacle aswell, I dont want to be charging it alot... Any ideas?

5. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

how about mabe if you hooked up sum sort of alternator

6. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

If its indoors, you could wire a power cord from the cieling, kinda like bumpercars

7. fg0d

fg0d Banned

12v to a little car.. isnt that too much?? I really want to know about making it drive via net first. :D

8. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, I'm thinking a cheap micro RC car. Not a Micro, persay, but like a cheapo 1.32 scale, not shure of you location, but I got one when i was in italy. some wireless keyboards are on RF, so Im sure somebody makes a generic input/output device. program the commands from the controller to this, then make a server program that connects to the RF's API. Ill look into this. Easy part is making it control via the web, hard part is controling the car from the PC to begin with.

9. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

New idea. Wire the control unit as above to the serial. I have a lot of cars, ill try wiring a bit later. anybody have a prog or shematic for wiring things to the serial? I know i could google, but i am to lazy.

Also, can we move this thread to electronics, modding, or programming? any of em but general discussion would be nice.

10. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

11. fg0d

fg0d Banned

/bump

12. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Please refrain from bumping threads... thanks

13. fg0d

fg0d Banned

sorries :'( :D I just really want to get this working

14. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

/bump ???what???

15. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

when you move a thread up, 'bumping it up, so it goes to the top of the forum etc... - M@

16. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

General Tip (to make you feel good): If a thread needs bumping, it usually means no one gave a crap first time... so why should they the second, also if you have to... wait like a month and do it... get more intrest from people going "OH MY GOD HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!" and then probably get help... oh then I'd probably spam... you know being me... and then penski would make some vaguely sexual comment of some sort (ideally towards K), and then phat would be all like "mmmm alfa... and closed" or rtt would be all like [amazingly witty comment of closure]... and then it'd be closed... and if you're lucky the mods will come back and have a party and post in the closed thread just because they can and you cannot and they're all like muhhahaha we are truely 1337 maaaaahhahahaha... and then penski would probably say something more cutting that cheesewire... and yeh it'd DIE... like a fetid corpse in the desert sun.... and then the flies would come and you'd think... hey wasn't there a greenfly thread... LET'S REVIVE THAT... and that gets closed and you cry... into a used hanky!

Please note. While the above is typical in this neck of the woods... It should be taken as a laugh,,, and not as something stupid... so yeh.. I appologise now for a wasted post... but hope it makes you giggle...

17. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

18. fg0d

fg0d Banned

zolofts got lorquis on a rampage??

19. lessthanjakejohn

lessthanjakejohn What's a Dremel?

Well that is a dumb rule.

I certainly didn't see this thread the first time and it seems quite interesting, but I don't know anything about it so I can't really up you. :)

20. fg0d

fg0d Banned

On topic now. I am really tried to figuire what to supply this car with. 12v from a wall seems a bit much. ON the otherhand, I cant be charging it all the time... I am just trying to find how to power this thing, its obviously gonna have to run shockwave or java right? I prefer shockwave seeing as Java needs a bit help.