1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Removing the bezel from LCD monitors?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by m0ng0lh0rde, 7 Jan 2010.

1. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde What's a Dremel?

Currently, I've got two LCDs connected to my system, a 24" and a 20". I'm looking at some time in the near future to get a second, matching 24" and move the 20" on to other things.

What I would like to do, is be able to use the dual displays for gaming, via EyeFinity (Radeon HD5870 card in system) But, I'd like to NOT have the bezels sitting in the middle of my display, especially considering that the bezel is about 7/8" wide.

How hard would it be, to disassemble these LCDs, and either thin down, or remove the bezel from where they would meet? One potential issue is, the LCD in question has the controls mounted on the side of the display, so those would have to be moved on at least one monitor.

While getting two more 24" displays would be the optimum work around, I don't have the desk space to have 3 24" displays.

But it would be sweet to run games at 5760x1200...
    Although my CPU probably would bottleneck me then...

Thanks,
    Jason

Teelzebub likes this.
  2. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

You do realize that the lcd-panel itself has a metal frame like 5mm wide, so you won't get one big seamless screen even if you put them right next to eachother.

3. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

Just the other day I took a LCD apart to repair the PSU. I do not know about all monitors but mine is an acer and the front bezel of the monitor is actually what all the inards are screwed onto, then the front bezel snaps into the back piece that contains the pedestal. I would think you could do it but you'd have to find another way to hold the one side on as you'd be removing the piece that snaps into the back.
    You could also just fabricate a custom lcd case that you could just mount the inards of the LCDs into. I actually thought of doing this myself whenever I break down and buy 2 Identical monitors.

4. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde What's a Dremel?

Yeah, after I posted, I did a bit of Google work, and picked up on that. Sounds like if I really want to play with Eyefinity, I'm going to either need to put up with the space between the panels, or find a way to go three panel...

I did, when I found this out, think about the possibility of trying to remove the metal frame only from the sides that would be in contact, but I'd be concerned about totally trashing the panels. At $300 each, that's a bit more than I'd be willing to risk for eye candy.

Ah well, it was a fun idea while it lasted...

Thanks!
    Jason

5. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

might try shopping around for used crap 15 inch flats, mod around them a bit to see what you can do with the metal frame....However, if i remember correctly, under the metal frame is about 4mm of the PCB that houses/holds the LCD so even if you take the metal off, there will still be a gap between the monitors. Might be worth toying with if you can find a couple of used LCD's on the cheap though

6. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

You might be able to use some sort of lens or mirror to shift the display sideways a little bit. That would probably be hard to pull off successfully.

7. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Simple, go three screen!

8. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I highly suggest not trying that. There's still dead space on the lcd itself, plus the metal frame holds all the parts together. Getting any of them out of alignment will screw up the picture.

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

If desk space is a problem you could go for 3 monitors in portrait mode.

10. SonicPossum

SonicPossum What's a Dremel?

Ok, heres the deal, I got my grubby little paws on a few old lcd´s and removed the metal frame or bezel or whatever its called ( not big on terminology ) and found ¨dead¨space ( empty/unused glass space ) around the outside on 2 of the 4 sides followed by a black inner border. I have shaved off most of this so that there is 0.2 mm black border left between me and the pixels and its still works ( for now ) my question is how much further would i be able to go before i destroy it bearing in mind its a hell of a lot of work so far. Or should i go to 0.1 mm and join the displays at a 2 to 3 degree inward angle and let it go at that ?

11. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Find out what screens the bbc uses for it's weather forecasts > no bezels...

12. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

13. Slavegirlemily

Slavegirlemily What's a Dremel?

Teelzebub likes this.
  14. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

15. daverobson08

daverobson08 What's a Dremel?

Bwahaha. I can't believe this went unchecked. The beeb has tried to be at the forefront with tech for donkeys. The weird effect that they went for with those pseudo panels always baffled me.