1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Replacement Router (ISP issues fixed - I think!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M3G4, 14 Nov 2007.

1. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Hey all, forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

Basically, for 2 weeks now both my router and virgin media's excuse for an internet connection have been acting up to the point of pulling down the wireless network every so often, barely loading pages (I've managed to surf 2 pages on this forum, and watch one stuttering youtube video in the hour I've been online. MSN is a huge no-no - it just won't work) and just basically being a waste of my time and money.

So I'm looking to switch both my router (currently my 2nd Netgear WGR614 after the first howled itself to death) and ISP over to something considerably more reliable. One company that looks quite promising is BeThere. Whilst I understand I won't get 24Mbps unless I sleep on top of the exchange system, I was wondering if anyone had any experience of them? What's the service like? And speeds? Virgin's transparent proxy makes all hell break loose - does BeThere have one?

Also... replacement routers... any ideas? I won't buy netgear so please don't suggest them.

Thanks guys

2. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Im am having the same problem with AOL and determined to switch this month regardless who I go with. I was thinking of Bethere too and just received an e-mail today from them saying that they have upgraded the exchange in Sheffield so I now have them as an option. I can only get 3mb even though I almost live ontop of the exchange. Im looking at the upto 8mb package for £14 as there is no point going for the 24mb as I will never get that speed.

I also would be interested in hearing if anyone has bethere and if they would recomend it before I do the switch.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Be* (aka BeThere) are awesome.

DG834GT + BeUnlimited = cheesecake.

4. mikeuk2004

I got that router, also which router is it that they give free!!! Would it be best keeping my Netgear DG834GT or use the one that Be give you??

5. dom_

dom_ --->

Be give you a speedtouch router, that does the job and is pretty good.

Be is the best tbh. The connection is super quick. They send me a text before they bill me each month, and text me everytime BT play at the exchange etc. Only ever had one problem which was DNS based and they solved it in under an hour.

6. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Just recently switched to Be and I have to admit they are brilliant.

For anyone in the Uk, that lives in or around a city they should definitely go with Be. Great speed, good service, no throttling and most importantly no lying to you about the throttling.

7. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

:idea:

I'd like to try Be myself... but their services are not available where I live, unfortunately - hence that [somewhat pedantic, admittedly] addition :D

8. Krikkit

According to Be* themselves, the chipset in the DG834GT is the best one to use with their service. :)

9. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I'm on Be as well and they're ace (was only on <1meg with Eclipse and it died every night, Be have got me on about 3.5meg even though my line length is ridiculous! Go Be).

Couldn't get my routers to work with them, but the SpeedTouch isn't soooo bad. As long as you prop it up so it doesn't overheat... and you do all the settings in the CLI as the webgui doesn't have a saveall option that will survive a reboot. I'm using something else as the AP and since turning off the WiFi on the SpeedTouch it hasn't overheated and frozen itself or rebooted. Fingers crossed.

Whatever router you go with it's best to use the SpeedTouch they send you for the first week. Be support will ask you to switch to that before they'll help you out anyway, so may as well make sure it's all running fine first.

10. Krikkit

Apparently they extended the period to ~1 month before they stop fiddling around, unless you use a different modem from the start (which is equally acceptable apparently, although as you say, they don't like giving line tech support without using the Speedtouch). :)

11. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

i have to say, having been stuck with tiscali in our student house last year (18month contract, go figure!), we have moved house and are now with Be*. There service is awesome! although the be box is currently struggling along with 7 wireless clients.... i have managed to get an old SMC working with the settings be gave me, but i might just go for a DG834GT if i can grab one cheaply. We are currently getting around 18meg aswell... so for the lucky guy in the front room, his wired internet is bloody fast!

12. mk-donald

mk-donald bits and bobs

I recommend having a read of the ThinkBroadband forums for Be aka BeThere, and their parent company's service - ie o2 Broadband which is based on the same Be infrastructure with different pricing/fees/Quidco.com cashback/moneybackguarantee/notice periods
    ie
    http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=beunlimited
    http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=o2

I've been o2'd for over two weeks now and am very happy with the service and support - I'm around 5kms of wire away from my exchange, ie bad with 55-60dB Attenuation but still went from early 3Mbps synch on ADSLmax to mid-late 3Mbps on the o2 ADSL2plus service ie 10-20% better and throughput had been consistently very high indeed, 25-50% better. My only gripe currently is that it seems my o2 box has given up the ghost this afternoon - though my old Belkin 7633 gives better synch anyway (but has no VoIP capability).

13. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

A Be* Member since May and very happy with the service, cannot fault it really. It is truely unlimited (271GB of data in 10 days at first - go figure). Upload is great for me and the download is too. Regulary get 1MB/s + on torrent too...

The router is a standard speedtouch one but as dom_ said it does the job although it does get warm (don't they all?!). If Be* is available in your area I'd go for them - it's a great service at a great price, everyone on this thread has given Be* a thumbs up so what are you waiting for!

14. mikeuk2004

I think BE is for me then. Too late to call AOL at the moment, will have to do it tomorrow

15. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

16. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

I lie... plugged my half smashed to bits modem directly into the iMac (damn my temper!) and it's working perfectly! It turns out I need a new router. So, we've established Netgear suck.

Are apple airport extreme's any good?

Tags: