1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Replacing GFX Card HSF

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Gushy, 11 Jan 2005.

1. Gushy

Gushy Minimodder

Hey guys,

Any tips before I try to replace the HSF on the GeForce? I'm a bit skint so I don't want to risk ruining it as I can't buy a replacement!

I recall hearing that you should put the gfx card in the freezer for a few hours to make thermal paste brittle enough to break without damageing the chip - is that really a worry?

I'm planning to just pop the push pins, rip the hsf off, wipe the chip clean, then install the new paste and hsf.

tia.

2. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

:search:
    This has been asked many times, and many times has been answered. ;)

3. Spitfire

Spitfire What's a Dremel?

What Geforce do you have?

4. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

is it held in by plastic push pin thingys or is it just stuck on there?
    mine (although it was a 9600) had the silver compound which wasn't holding it on, so i just pushed the plastic pins through then it came off straight away...

5. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Get something like a Iceberq imo

<A88>

6. Gushy

Gushy Minimodder

it's an old GF4 4200 Ti. I can't remember what the new hsf is, I bought it a while ago, just never got around to using it!

I'm positive that when I searched yesterday nothing came up fitting my needs, but searching today has...... sorry guys, my bad.

7. woodjamin

woodjamin What's a Dremel?

if it is thermal paste i should come right off with ease. maybe twist it a few times to loosen it up. if it is thermal TAPE that stuff is annoying to clean off and get off the GPU. i got my nb off ( had thermal tape) by doing little twist motions back and forth till it came loose enough to pull it off.

8. Gushy

Gushy Minimodder

not sure if it's paste; I'm going to pop into maplin's on the way home and pick up a bottle of Asaka TIM-Clean.