1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Replacing My Primary HDD (Drive C:). What happens to Vista?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DorkSterr, 22 Dec 2008.

1. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Hey guys I am replacing my primary harddrive with a Western Digital (with the biggest space possible thats 10.000RPM), my question is obviously I'll need to reinstall Vista again but will I be able to use the same CD Key/Serial?

And another thing what is the largest 10.000RPM HDD?:duh:

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

yes, you will be able to use the same key. and i believe the biggest 10k rpm consumer drive is the wd velociraptor at 300GB.

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

You could always mirror / take an image of the drive, and then transfer it to the new hard-drive so you won't have to re-install everything, unless you want to re-format. Operating systems are based on motherboards I believe, not other components, so unless you change the motherboard, you won't need a new OEM serial key. If you have a retail copy, it doesn't matter if you switch the mobo, you just need to call in most of the time to activate it.

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

+1 for that

Nope, with Retail copies you DON'T have to do that, because it'll activate fine! :)

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah it's a simple phone call.. if it's oem tell the guy in india it's the same computer, the old harddrive failed and he'll give you the code you need to type into the activation prompt

been using vista 64 ultimate retail since it's release.. had to reactivate it several times, last time was a computer voice told me to go to hell lol naw j/k it was quick