1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Replacing PSU fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pistol_pete, 31 Aug 2009.

1. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I know there's been threads about this before - hell, I've done it before on an old 300w PSU. This is a bit different though.

I've worked out the noisiest thing in my case is my Antec Quattro 850, which has the fairly traditional layout of a 80mm exhaust fan at the back. I'd like to replace it with something like a 80mm Noctua , or Sharkoon Silent Eagle like I used on my media PC, but my questions are thus:

At around 20cfm, will either of these fans move enough air to keep the PSU cool? At the moment my peak system power must be ~350W, but if I upgrade in the future that could be closer to 650W. Will I have cooling issues at this point?

Last edited: 31 Aug 2009
  2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

^If you're going to void your warranty anyways, you might aswell cut a blowhole on the PSU's case and stick a 120 in there.

Also, funny typo in the last line.

3. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Ha, thanks.

Not sure there's room to fit a 120mm, having seen pictures of the inside. I'll need to check if my warranty is valid, can't remember if I registered it or not when I got it at the start of last year.

4. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

If you value your life just sell the Antec and buy a BeQuiet or one of the quieter corsairs, 20CFM wouldn't be enough anyway... for peak for 650W which could be up to 50A that's a lot of heat... I'd say 40-60CFM+, but seriously, if you buy the BeQuiet you keep the warranty and you don't fry yourself, capacitators have a nasty habit of discharging onto you (if anyone makes comments at that they are between the age of 5-13 so just dont please :p)

5. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

[​IMG]

6. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

:sigh: There is always one :lol: