1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ReRAM boosts SSD performance 11-fold

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 15 Jun 2012.

1. lietu

lietu What's a Dremel?

2. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

PCIe is just a bus interconnect standard not a slot standard, and although there are standardised sockets there is no reason that any shaped/positioned socket could be used so long as it meets requirements. There are lots of PCIe sockets depending on how and who uses it.
    As others have said, a Thunderbolt socket could be used, but I'd thank all involved in the development to not use Thunderbolt. Intel is rich enough without more bucket loads of my money being transferred to them as royalties.

3. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I'd like to see a storage medium that used the CPU's memory slots. I'm sure it'd be a technical nightmare to do, maybe even impossible, but imaging if your OS disk was configured to use the dual/triple/quad channel memory... That;'d be a fundamental change in the config of machines....

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

5. enciem

enciem Minimodder

I'd love to own one of the first one's of these things. I'd be able to boot my computer and see what my software's been doing while I was away, before it knew I was there. I bet it's all kinky stuff.

6. Eriol

Eriol What's a Dremel?

There are already some industrial drives with MRAM used as cache:

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20120514/217732/

It's interesting to see which of the competing post FLASH technologies will end being the best for consumers. There's definetely several competitors at the moment. This is perhaps the biggest thing in the coming years, since ultra fast non-volatile memory will really mix up the current landscape dominated by DRAM and NAND FLASH. It just remains to be seen how fast they can ramp up production and move from cache applications to full fledged drives and finally as DRAM replacement.

7. Bokonist

Bokonist What's a Dremel?

Increased speed *and* increased life expectancy, best of both worlds. I've been holding off on an ssd because of reported reliability issues and life expectancy. Something like this would be ideal, I wonder how long before this could be in commercial production?

8. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

I can't even afford to buy an SSD so by the time I can afford to buy Re-Ram it'll be obsolete and Light Particle Nuclear Fission drives will be all the rage.....sigh

Tags: Add Tags