1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Restoring a kitchen table

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Aterius Gmork, 14 Jan 2019.

1. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Yesterday I got given an old solid wood kitchen table made from pine wood which I’d like to restore (a bit). I do like the wood grain but do not like the colour. A darker colour would be nice.

Should I oil or glaze the wood? There are many different conflicting opinions online and no definite right or wrong as far as I can tell.

Now I know this isn't exactly computer modding, so if this post is breaking any rules please feel free to delete it. But this is one of the best DIY communities I know of so I am hoping for some tips.

Edit: I have used oil to restore a wooden cabinet or a door before. Glazing doesn't sound much different or more difficult. However I cannot decide on which product to use as the table I use right now is a cheap IKEA pos.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2019
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'd use a urethane on it since it's a kitchen table, and will get cold drinks and stuff. A few coats of gloss will seal it nicely. Gloss dries slower than flat and satin and evens out better, although that does mean it will run more than the others.

3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Related to Cheap's comment's its a question of your situation.
    If you have children under 16 urethane is the only way.
    Is your family gentle, (i.e. can you have nice things) or are dishes likely to be doped, banged, slid, etc on the table? Urethane.
    If you typical use table cloth and or place mats and your household is use to using coaster, then you can consider oil.
    Do you mind touching up your table periodically? Then oil is still an option.

I could go on. In the end it is a judgement call.