1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Retro gaming (emulating) questions

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by silk186, 10 Jul 2015.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I've recently gotten into playing old console games for nostalgia and because they are fun, super mario world, conkers bad fur day, banjo, donkey kong, zelda, final fantasy ect.

I was playing on zsnes but was having issues with my wireless 360 controller disconnecting. Reading around I'm hearing that zsnes is no good any more. I should use higan which is bsnes but it won't load my zelda rom, it has an ugly UI and I don't enjoy using it. Fine, I can use snes9x.

Doing more reading I come across some other apps: RetroArch, HYPERSPIN and hyperlaunch. I was looking around on the net and found videos on how to set up but I don't really get what it is for? Is it only for homebrew arcade cabinets?

This summer I will go to China and buy a few retro controllers, is this something worth setting up?

What are your favourite emulators? Is their a nice way to set up emulators that is visually pleasing and easier to navigate than lists of text? Something like popcorn maybe?

I will play some zelda on snes9x now...

2. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

I have the following:

ePSXe - PlayStation
    PCSX2 - PlayStation 2
    nullDC - Dreamcast
    Project 64 - Nintendo 64
    Snes9x - SNES
    Steem - Atari ST
    Spectaculator - Spectrum +2/3
    Dolphin - GameCube/Wii
    MAME - Arcades

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

after changing my snes emulator I have similar list except shorter
    I would like to find an aesthetically pleasing way to browse games, do any of these provide that: RetroArch, HYPERSPIN and hyperlaunch
    I finally find a vdeo after searching (found mostly installation guides). This looks promising and like a fund project to set up.

Is this the best/only choice or do any alternatives?

4. Strudul

Strudul ~

Used loads but only got Dolphin and PPSSPP atm.

PPSSPP is amazing though - Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver with fully working 4 player online co-op cheesecake.

5. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I use Emulators more to test games before using a proper console to run them on like burning disks for PS1 or PS2. Dolphin is probably one of the best; with some tweaking you can run a full wii environment, complete with channels that you can inject yourself. Gamecube compatibility is almost 100%, with very few games that have problems. If you play Super Smash Bros Brawl, Project M is still online and available to play online matches through Dolphin.

raxonb has it right with the others, nestopia for NES if you want it. PPSSPP is great as well if you want to play some PSP games.

DeSmuME is the best DS emulator currently. Due to the architecture of the DS, it has a pretty sucky compatibility. It's mostly the first party titles that work, your marios and Pokemon and te games that people really care about playing. If you're looking for hidden gems to download, it's hit and miss to whether it'll run.

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

thanks guys, I will give PPSSPP a try next

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

For 'pre-3D' console generations (i.e.. prior to the PS1/N64/Saturn) Retroarch is worth a look. It's kind of a frontend/wrapper for 'cores' - the actual doing-the-work code of various emulators - with the addition of useful things like ROM management and effect shaders e.g. the (in)famous 'CRT effect' filters (that work really well for games that use the artefacts of CRTs as part of the intended rendering effect). It recently got an update with a nicer looking main menu.

::EDIT:: While there are cores for '3D era' consoles too, the 'native' releases of these emulators usually have more functionality exposed for tweaking.

8. silk186

silk186 Derp

Some of what is supports looks a bit odd...
    [​IMG]

9. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Odd! How dare you! A Nintendo Game & Watch (Parachute) was my very first console!

I used to play it constantly while bouncing on a lolo ball... yay 80s.

10. silk186

silk186 Derp

My first sytem was an Atari XE Game System: dig dug, joust, Donkey Kong, Pole Position... also played an atari 2600 at my grandmothers and my dad had a colecovision. It all changed when I got my NES with Mario 1, 2 and 3 when I was around grade 1... fond memories

11. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I didn't have many computery things as a kid. Game & Watch was my first. Then the next one was the Spectrum 128k +2. My friend's Dad had a company that built computers so they always had good ones I could play on and all the latest consoles.

Also, *another* Reading-ite on the forums? We are multiplying...

12. silk186

silk186 Derp

Atari XE Game System was my first computer until a 386sx many years later and after the NES my parents grew tired of how frequently systems came out so I didn't get anything else until I won an N64

13. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Hyperspin is pretty complicated. I wish it weren't so, but it is. Still, it's really powerful once you've spent many many hours getting it to work.

Essentially it's just a very pretty way to navigate your library, see box art and watch little preview videos of gameplay. If you launch a title, it will launch a selected emulator and load the ROM. When you exit it will return to Hyperspin.

There are some decent plugins for XBMC that will do similar stuff. It's a little more automated, but only a little bit.

14. PhysicsFan

PhysicsFan What's a Dremel?

RetroPie iis a great little emulation solution. I found the ROM for Nemesis arcade machine which I played a lot at uni. It is still too hard for me :/

15. PhysicsFan

PhysicsFan What's a Dremel?

I have had a lot of fun with retropie; retroarch on raspberry pi 2. A highly portable system! Good for holidays.

I found the ROM for an old coin op called Nemesis from my uni days. Such a pleasure, though I'm still rubbish at it.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk