1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returned a cheque made out to me that I didn't deserve.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 1 Oct 2013.

1. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

The other day I got a letter from my university that said that I had a check that had never been cashed. It didn't say why it was issued, it just said that it was for $100.

So today I go to the accounting office and ask what it is supposed to be about. They tell me it is for a class I was in. But when I was in the class I had a special role and didn't travel, while all the other students did, which is what I supposed the money was for. In any case, my professor had never mentioned anything about money to me, so I thought I probably didn't deserve the money.

However, the lady at the desk said I had to turn in the form to claim my money, so I filled out the form, turned it in, and then went to find my professor.

I talked to him about the check and he seemed confused at first, but then I reminded him what class I was signed up for. His first response seemed to be, 'oh well, enjoy your money,' and that he didn't want to be bothered with the trouble of fixing the issue, but I told him that it seemed wrong to take money that was clearly for travel expenses that I never incurred. He ultimately agreed and said that I should go down to the accounting office and explain the situation, which I did immediately after.

I wasn't going to share this story, but then I thought of all the crap we usually see online. Too often people think too much about 'what's in it for me' and don't care about what is right or wrong morally, just what they can get away with legally, and stories of that get posted all the time. We need more people to stand up and represent what they believe to be right, even if most of these people would think it to be 'bragging' or 'self-righteous.'

So I hope some people like me read this and have their courage bolstered to do the right thing, even when it isn't the easiest thing to do. Communities like this are full of people who do the right thing, people who do giveaways out of their own pocket, and share with those who have less, and give good deals on hardware because they know it will go a good place, even if they know they could get twice as much or better on eBay.

That's all. I'm not so good at endings.

G0UDG and Snips like this.
  2. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I personally don't really buy into the whole 'right and wrong' malarkey, but good on you for sticking to your principles.

3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I didn't claim back my PPI that I wasn't miss-sold. But I could have if I was a selfish *****

Good on you again.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I didn't RMA a DOA keyboard. But that was probably because they keyboard was worth 4 or 5 euros and traveling costs to RMA center would have been 2 euros :D.

5. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

So they charged you for travel before the course... you didnt travel so they tried to give you back the money allocated for travel?

If this is correct I dont see the issue.

6. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Would this be why you're no longer a copper?

G0UDG likes this.
  7. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I do the right thing... to an extent but I still would have enjoyed the money.

A while ago 'just for fun' in a supermarket I memorised a womans pin at the checkout then to my amazement she walked straight out the store leaving the card in the machine.

No one noticed it was like being tempted by the devil situation but i'm not a criminal and told the checkout girl who had no idea and she got the woman back who was already out the door.

You can do the right thing without being a complete angel.

8. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

No, there was no travel charge for the course. The course was an ambassador program where students would travel to different cities promoting the college. I instead stayed in the college designing and building new shelves. The money was to cover the cost of travel, which I didn't do, which my professor didn't intend or expect for me to receive, which I didn't expect or deserve to receive. So, as much as it would have been a nice bit of money, I figured to be honest I should talk to my professor first.

If he had been like, "well you were in the class, enjoy the money," I totally would have kept it. I just think that not checking first, especially under the circumstances where it was so unexpected, is a form of dishonesty.