1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding RFID and PC security?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Isuo, 27 Mar 2005.

1. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

:idea:
    Prolog:
    The following came into my mind while I was reading this
    and then remembering this article.

Chapter one:
    I suppose everyone of you wants to lock your computer when you are not using it.
    I know that everyone of you has heard about the USB computer lock.
    But that's not stylish because that's a big piece of plastic and wont fit into your wallet.
    So what if someone combined the RFID chip, that has about 1kb of memory, with a card reader and stuffed it
    to a credit card sized and shaped piece of plastic?

Chapter two:
    -I am not alone-

Epilog:
    So I am calling all you fellow modders to a brainstorm.
    How to create a RFID tag reader that locks your computer when you take the card out.
    Or how to create a pc that won't boot unless you have the card in the reader.
    All constructive ideas are welcome!

As No one has posted on this thread I decided to do another chapter, hehe.
    No but this shows you that I'm not alone with that kind of an idea... Anyways, Id like to see your posts here.

This small, krhm, book was sritten by Isuo​

Last edited: 29 Mar 2005
  2. pcjabber

pcjabber What's a Dremel?

There's a mainboard with something like this feature. Hold on a sec, let me find it.

Here we are, "Soyo SY-P4I Fire dragon" (http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=3 -- I don't guarantee this to work, it's from an older topic ;-)). I've read that "Actually many of the Soyo boards have this capability, you only need to make sure you get one that includes their Sigma box or has a connector for it."

More tips here (old topic, but a good read):
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=31257

3. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

Put an RFID receiver on the keyboard lock input of your mobo? When you are gone the keyboard locks.

If you have an USB keyboard you could connect it through an internal header and use the RFID receiver to disconnect power for that cable inside the chassis where it is difficult to get to (assuming chassis with intrusion protection).

4. H311R4153R

H311R4153R What's a Dremel?

5. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

nick01: How would I be able to physically do that then?
    pcjabber: Thanks for the links man!
    H311R4153R: someone hasn't clicked the liks :)
    Anyways, I was not asking for help, nor was I asking for information. I was asking for constructive Ideas of how could something like that be made. Anyways, thanks for posting ppl.

6. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

Get a 5V relay or FET output optocoupler for isolation. To drive it use this kit or something similar: http://www.phidgetsusa.com/viewproduct.asp?SKU=2002 . Hook up the output of the relay or OC to the mobo keylock header or in series with the USB power for the keyboard.

The device itself has a USB link. If you have the SW tools you could write your own routine to lock out everything if the tag is not present, but I have no experience with that.

The reader has only 4" reading distance, so you may have to put it under your desk top to sense a tag in your pocket or under the mouse pad to sense a tag on a wrist strap.

7. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Thanks!
    Now we just need to find someone who is experienced with that sort of thing.

....Anyone?....​

8. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

could you not use the same type of technology thats used to open doors at industrial complexes.
    You push a tag against a box on the wall.. it registers the keys tag signiture and asks a remote computer for access levels.
    Linky
    Anoher Linky
    Surely the same technology could be used however the box would have to be connected though either the 5v rail for the keyboard and or mouse. Splicing though a usb header that connects to the main board would be the best bet.
    However thats a lot of time and effort.

9. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Aren't those more or less the same than the RFID tags?
    Anyways, now we just need someone, who has some basic skills of coding, to give an ida of a software based lock, or just give a few links.

10. pears0

pears0 What's a Dremel?

To stop the computer from booting using something like this would be impossible on the USB port without the motherboard its self been setup up to do this. However, I sugest making your own port. I know a computer can be locked just from the input off a serial port, so that would lock it whilst on. To lock it whilst off/standby/hibernate would need to lockout the power button. Im not sure where to do thios on the mother board, but there could be some kind of interface addon btween the PSU an motherboard and a connection to the serial port to a 3 1/2". This would then hold the port that you wanted to use. Then this could b added to any case. This version would also intail using a program so that it couls be locked whilst power is on.

11. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Ok, now let's say we have the 'box' connected to the serial port.
    The next thing would logically be the software for controlling and installing it I assume. So, how could that be done?

[SIZE=-7]
    Still not as many posts as I hoped
    [/SIZE]