1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RMAing a Dead CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by A13n0rma1, 19 May 2004.

1. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

I recently got a bad NF7-S 2 board and it killed my CPU, so I want to try to RMA it to AMD, as newegg doesn't cover CPUs after 15 or so days.

What I want to know is what's necessary in terms of packing? I still have the little plastic clip thing it came in, so I should just clean off the thermal paste and shvoe it in a little box with some foam peanuts and send it to AMD?

Can I even RMA a dead CPU if it was due to a motherboard accident?

Any info on RMAign a CPU is appreciated, fyi :D

2. Trekari

Trekari What's a Dremel?

3. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

If you used Arctic Silver Thermal Compound with that processor, make sure you remove all traces of it from the processor as using it voids the warranty officially.

4. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Ceramique. The whole.. conductivity thing scares me off Arctic Silver. :hehe:

5. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Still, the only gunk AMD allow is Shin-Etsu G751 and the like, phase change stuff. What you need to do is contact AMD before the RMA and get them to authorise it all. Just having a CPU turn up on their doorstep is an invitation to get it thrown in the bin, when they give you an RMA number they'll most likely give you packing instructions with it.

6. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

I figured about the RMA #, hrm.

It better not take too long :miffed:

7. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

If i were AMD i wouldnt authorise an RMA. Contact Newegg, especially if they accepted the RMA of the board.

8. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Here in the UK if something faulty causes the damage of another part/component, the retailer is also legally liable for the parts damaged too.

Not sure about how it works over there though, but you should try getting in touch with the board manufacturer to make a claim for the processor it killed.

-Sam

9. Cheese

Cheese Doc

My thoughts exactly, the board killed the processor so why should AMD pay for the damage?

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

You should be covered by the retailer for the first year, its upto them to return to the manufacturer in that time not you.

11. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Only problem is, how do you prove that the board did it? Get them to sacrifice CPUs to it to test? I don't think they'd be up for that, somehow :worried:

12. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

Thats not your problem, you tell them it did it its up to them to prove it wrong.

13. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Yup exactly.