1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Router issues (or so it seems)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Volund, 2 Jan 2011.

1. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I've been having intermittent internet outages for the past 2 days, basically consisting of being able to get online, open a page, say forums.bit-tech.net as an example. Then (about 75% of the time), when I hit any other link, weather it be "new posts", "search", etc. I will get a "Firefox cannot find the server" error. This is also a problem with Steam, and seems to be happening in IE as well (tried simply because my dad was getting on his high horse about it being all firefox's fault because he isn't having issues on AOL (which is yet to be determined....)).

So what I've done so far-

- Called up my ISP, who are the usual culprits when it comes to internet outages, apparently our modem hasn't gone down at all, leading them to tell us to go f*ck off and deal with it ourselves...
    - Plugged directly into the modem, seems to work fine for firefox and IE
    - I don't have another router lying around to drop in and test to see if it is the fault of the router in the system.
    - I was assuming that it might just be a firefox issue (firefox is the browser running on 3 of the 4 computers in the house, the other is used by a stubborn man who refuses to let go of AOL), until both IE and steam had issues as well.

Computers with problems-

1 Dell Inspiron laptop (docked) running windows 7 Home premium, firefox 3.6.13, wired
    1 Acer Aspire One Netbook running windows 7 Professional, Firefox 3.6.13, wireless
    1 Custom built desktop (in sig) running windows 7 Ultimate, firefox 3.6.13, wired

Computer with no problems (possibly)-
    Gateway (unknown model, some old tablet), running windows XP, AOL 10.something, wireless

Router-
    Linksys WRT54G, running (it appears, the web access page isn't fully loading) v1.02.6 firmware, but that could be the version of the web CP release.

any pointers on troubleshooting would be much appreciated, this just started out of the blue two days ago.

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

sounds to me like the router is overheating, when this happens and airflow is good, it's time to change the router.

i'm presuming your on cable broadband if you connect router to modem.

3. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Can you still access the router configuration pages perfectly fine?

4. Volund

Yes, cable broadband through Comcast. I'll take a look at moving the router around a bit to see if that helps.

No, I have the same issues on them as every other webpage, sometimes they don't load completely, or don't load at all.

thanks guys

5. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Tried a hard reset of your router? If issues persist, try installing DD-WRT or Tomato firmware on it and see how things turn out then.

6. Volund

I have done a hard reset, but I will do another one.

If that fails I'll try a 3rd party firmware before going off to get a new router :/.

Question that someone might know the answer to. Why would the three computers that are having issues be having the issues, while the ancient computer in the household be having (apparently) none?