1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Router's 2GHz Wi-Fi routinely failing

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Retro~Burn, 12 Mar 2020.

  1. Retro~Burn

    Retro~Burn Electronically Debauched Fiend

    Joined:
    11 Sep 2009
    Posts:
    153
    Likes Received:
    1
    I have a TP-Link Archer VR2800 router which has been working perfectly for 3 years up until now. For the past few days whenever a device attempts to connect to the 2GHz Wi-Fi it fails because it cannot get an IP address. However, the 5GHz Wi-Fi has been fine. The 2GHz has 7 devices connected whilst the 5GHz only has 2.

    There is a separate router downstairs for a business line but I've not had issue with the two. We live in an end of terrace property so Wi-Fi/signal saturation should be less.

    The router has the latest firmware:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Firmware Link

    Attempted fixes
    1) Rebooting the router. This works temporarily but then the issue re-occurs and it's happening more frequently (it used to be once a day now it's every few hours).
    2) Factory reset

    Any idea what might be causing it? Is it the DHCP server not re-issuing licenses/IP addresses to each device?

    Any help would be appreciated, cheers!
     
    Last edited: 12 Mar 2020
  2. sandys

    sandys Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    26 Mar 2006
    Posts:
    3,699
    Likes Received:
    243
    Change the 2.4Ghz channel, I had problems at home with my heating going out (wireless Hive controller) and the smart meter loosing connection and crashing plus other connection issues ever since installing Sky broadband, tried a new router, did not fix it, changed wifi channel from 1 to 6 all problems went away.
     
    Retro~Burn likes this.
  3. Retro~Burn

    Retro~Burn Electronically Debauched Fiend

    Joined:
    11 Sep 2009
    Posts:
    153
    Likes Received:
    1
    Both the 2GHz and 5GHz channels are set to automatic but this hasn't been an issue before. I'll try this and see what happens. Cheers!
     
  4. Fingers66

    Fingers66 Kiwi in London

    Joined:
    30 Apr 2010
    Posts:
    8,678
    Likes Received:
    915
    Retro~Burn likes this.
  5. sandys

    sandys Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    26 Mar 2006
    Posts:
    3,699
    Likes Received:
    243
    Yup same for me, I don't normally fix channels but scouring the net suggested many were having problems with Hive and connectivity and changing channel sorted it, can't say why, but it worked for me, some some sort of co-existance issue, hope it is similarly simple for you.
     
    Retro~Burn likes this.
  6. Retro~Burn

    Retro~Burn Electronically Debauched Fiend

    Joined:
    11 Sep 2009
    Posts:
    153
    Likes Received:
    1
    Thanks very much guys. I did wonder before posting whether it was channel selection but discounted this as when testing it would say it cannot obtain IP, which you'd associate with DHCP or something. I've set the channel to 4 and will let you know how it goes. Thanks @Fingers66 for the app suggestion.
     
    Last edited: 12 Mar 2020
  7. Retro~Burn

    Retro~Burn Electronically Debauched Fiend

    Joined:
    11 Sep 2009
    Posts:
    153
    Likes Received:
    1
    Unfortunately the issue remains. I tried switching off both Wi-Fi connections, assigning channel 6 to the 2GHz then re-enabled both. But it wouldn't work. I then switched both off again, changed 2GHz to channel 11 then rebooted the router and it's working again for now. I've looked at the settings but can't see an option that manages IP address allocation for Wi-Fi. As that is the only cause I can think of.

    There are four nearby (2GHz) Wi-Fi connections: 1 is our other router, 1 is the printer and 2 others are next door's router and extender. I will use that app later when I'm back to see if there's signal saturation.
     
  8. Retro~Burn

    Retro~Burn Electronically Debauched Fiend

    Joined:
    11 Sep 2009
    Posts:
    153
    Likes Received:
    1
    The issue's resolved for me now. I posted on the TP-Link community forums and one of their staff suggested I change the channel, channel width and re-name the SSID. I did all that and also switched off the Netgear range extender (I forgot to mention it!). Now it's all working. I think the issue must be with the extender as it's old and after I did a factory reset on it, I still couldn't connect to it with the same error "cannot obtain IP address". Luckily I have a spare TP-Link extender which I'm using. Thanks again @Fingers66 for suggesting the NetSpot - WiFi Analyzer app as I didn't realise how many neighbouring Wi-Fi connections there were, also being able to see what channels they're on is handy to avoid any conflicts Cheers :thumb:


     

Share This Page