1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development RS232 into JAVA

Discussion in 'Software' started by TonyBurn, 21 Mar 2004.

1. TonyBurn

TonyBurn What's a Dremel?

Hi i'm pretty new to JAVA and can only accomplish the extreme basics. As part of my uni project i'm needing to input RS232 (com port) signals into my program to extract necessary data. The device i'm using is a GPS receiver which sends its NMEA signals to the rs232 for the program to make use off.

So far i've downloaded the Comm API here and installed it. I can run the "Blackbox" demonstration program which shows the output of the GPS receiver. I need to be able to input these signals into a class file of my own, I know "SerialEvent" plays a part in the process but do not know how to use it. Any help from JAVA boffins would be much appriciated?

2. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

3. TonyBurn

TonyBurn What's a Dremel?

Cheers Ardentfrost I seem to be going mad. Theres a program called "SimpleRead" included in the API but it's a different program on that link for some strange reason. Anyways the program on the link works fine, just gotta write a method to extract GPS co-ordinates from it now :lol:

4. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

:) glad to help