1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Russia

Discussion in 'General' started by Fod, 2 Dec 2010.

1. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Number of Italians who played in the Inter side that won the Champion's League; 1, and even then he was a 91st minute sub. (Materazzi 90+1)

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Yea but year on year I wouldn't put money on them getting to the semi's over Barca, Real, United or Chealsea. Look at who was in charge too, As much as I don't like him Mourinho wouldn't of let Bale make them look like a championship side. Look at the league as a whole too. Yes Inter are strong but the other teams in the league too. If I was a German side and not riddled by injuries like Werder Bremen I would be confident. Germany will only get stronger too if they hold onto their up and comming kids but like the Italians they like the spending muscle of the English and Spanish teams. With City and Spurs looking to spend and possibly Chelsea too in January the English league will only get stronger. Just look where those teams rejects will be heading too. Some will head overseas but a lot will filter down to lower premiership sides thus make the English league even stronger.

3. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Yeah I read that too.

At first I laughed quite a bit, but once I stopped I realised its a little bit petty. Still glad he did it though!

4. Hi Fi Aiki

Hi Fi Aiki What's a Dremel?

Th question is would you go to Russia if you got given tickets? I probably wouldn't want to give them my money.

5. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Your confusing the word league with players. Correct me if I'm wrong, did all these non-Italian players not play in Serie A that season?

Only Blackburn Rovers, Arsenal and Chelski have ever finished above Ferguson's Man U since the EPL was formed. Until last season the same 4 teams finished top of the league. So I don't think it's as good as other people think it is. That isn't to say I don't watch it and enjoy it. I do.

In terms of excitement and quality I prefer La Liga. Mourinho let Real look like a Championship side against Barca recently did he not?

6. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

completly different types of football imo:

Barclays Premier Leauge - fast/lump it and see what happens type of leauge - ie. less technically capable players (except for arsenal and some players at the bigger clubs). Some people prefer this for excitement - but with no caps on how much debt a club is allowed to inccur (unlike german leauge for example) it is just a matter of who splashes the most cash really (again apart from arsenal really - who in this cat's humble opinion are barcelona mk II)

La Liga - technically very high - lots of teams (not just Barcelona/Real Madrid) who have player who like ball into feet, fast passing, ball on the ground. Also as seen in the classico last week we saw that its not all about the money (yes in the grand scheme of things it still is) and whilste some people think that ticci-tacca is dull, I love watching 40+ pass moves :) I would say this is second fastest out of England, Spain, Italy (ordered by speed of play).

Serie A - tactically very adapt - probably the slowest out of the big three, historically big - hence the commercial viability even if the teams have not been playing that well (don't think Inter were the best team in CL last season). Technically maybe a bit higher the PL, but with the influx of foreign talent + some homegrown gems the PL is catching up fast.

Bundesliga - don't know that much about it - but good level of football being played, fan support next to none (love the fact that standing area's still exist) and that ticket prices make sure that *everyone* can still see their favourite sport being played. Used to be similiar to the other leauges where you had the "big X" with mainly Bayern Munich winning everything, Werder Bremen maybe Hamburg coming close, but recent seasons this has changed - now every match is a title decider :)

...All in all I think football is much like life - everyone has their preference and opinion - and as beautifully as Barca played last monday, hardcore Real fans will still think that they cheated/etc. to win...most often the fans have a "marmite" attitude - hate some clubs/players - love others...

...In all this weird and wonderfull madness if I did not support spur's I would support Arsenal :)