1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Ryzen memory issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 21 Feb 2021.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Hi All

I grabbed a second kit of the RAM in my sig to go upto 32GB, which came yesterday, but sinc then I've been having constant problems. Multiple BSODs, gram crashes glaore, ect, and this system has been rock solid since I moved to Ryzen last year. I vaguely remember something about 4 sticks not being great, but google isn't providing many answers.

I'm going to run a memtest to see if the kit is DOA, but any other suggestions? I litterally went to my previous order and bought the same ones, but could this be unvalidated DIMMs being a thing? A second XMP profile appeared too, is this usual?

Any other thoughts to test?

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Update: less than 4 minutes into memtest and there's over 11,000 errors and it aborted, so I think we have our problem! Now, do we think its DIMM, motherboard or CPU controller...

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

What speed are they running? typically 4 sticks require more work to run beyond official speeds, try 3200.

4. Groovedude

Groovedude Minimodder

Hey Bloody_Pete,

appreciate it's the same RAM kit etc but have you tried seeing if there is a bios update for the motherboard? just thinking out loud really.
    100% worth running the memtest on the new kit see if you get hit by any errors.

EDIT: just seen your post, have you tried running the kit in the other slots i.e just running one set at a time?

Many Thanks

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I would ditch your originals from your system whilst you confirm the 2 new ones are stable

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Update 2: so I ran memtest twice, and it appears to be tests 1, 2 and 6 are failing, 6 being the one with the masses of errors, 1 have 1 error and 2 having 8-10 errors. Test 1 is a CPU test however, so the plot thickens! I'll update when I've run more tests!

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

This. Put the new ones in same slots as old ones, same setting (because you have got same RAM).
    If error, then DOA;
    Else 4 sticks mean you need to reduce speed.

MSI manual online version Page 28:
    "Due to AM4 CPU/memory controller official specification limitation, the frequency of memory modules may operate lower than the marked value under the default state. Please refer www.msi.com for more information on compatible memory."

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Exactly this! I spent last night and tonight testing. Dropping the speed down to 3000MHz works fine now, oddly 3400MHz caused the overclocking warning, I didn't test 3200MHz as I was getting bored! It can be a future job!

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

wyx087 and Bloody_Pete like this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I got all four of mine to 3666 with cl15.

That said they are both 4133 kits, cost a fortune, and I'm using a 3950x.