1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Safe material to touch my mouse PCB

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Zero_UK, 16 Oct 2011.

1. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Hey,

I have a Razer Copperhead, one of the side buttons gets locked frequently and I eventually discovered that the PCB instead of being aligned vertical, is slightly lose and is slants by a few degrees which is causing the side button to be constantly pressed. I can open it up and realign it, or give it some rage to knock it to press the other mouse buttons for left handed users..

However this only fixes it for a very short time, as with traveling alot, or general use of the button and it soon ends up the same way. I am planning to open it up and fit a very thin piece of cardboard, plastic or any suitable material to secure the PCB inline.

Before I go ahead with it, I would like to make sure that if I fit a material there will it be a electrical or safety hazard?

Thanks.

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Given how little current a mouse draws and the fact a pcb board is made of non-conductive material ( just the traces on the surface that allow electrons to flow ), you can safely wedge any non-metalic material in there you like behind the pcb and it wont spontaneously combust on you.

3. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Agreed, just don't try cotton pads dripping in alcohol. Cardboard or plastic would seem to be fine choices.

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'd go with plastic over cardboard, it seems like that would last longer

5. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Lol, just buy a new mouse?

£40 for a replacement to the primary interaction method with your pride and joy? Worth it.

6. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Yes but £40 can also buy many many beers.... then use the cardboard/plastic from the packaging!

7. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Touché.

In that case, super-glue the housing in position, and spray some switch cleaner in there to make sure it doesn't seize up.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

9. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Sometimes for something minor like this it isn't worth the hassle of seeking a replacement, especially if all that needs to be done is placing a little padding in the correct place. There's no guaranty a replacement would be any better, if it was a design flaw as such. Am unexpected hardware failure on something worth hundreds of pounds though, sure, make the manufacturer or retailer sort it out..