1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung announces SSD 840 Evo in sizes up to 1TB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 18 Jul 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. bsp

bsp Minimodder

I never like the 840's much. The figures on the 840 evo look much better!

Still the question of reliability though.

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

10nm 3-bit MLC NAND? So... you can write to the drive about 1-2 times?

4. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

It's NAND made on a 10nm manufacturing process that uses triple levelling so that each cell can store 3 bits.

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Great to hear Samsung are making improvements to a product range that was already a class leader and has had great reviews. Now we just need a review from you to see if those numbers are backed up. Here's to hoping that the prices come down further too.

Bit-Tech... Can you do a feature on HDD's any time soon? It's been what? 4 years since your last HDD review or feature and much has happened in that time with regards to the floods and Samsung selling up to Seagate, as well as other things.
    What are the 'must have' products to buy these days? Have any improvements in the tech been made? Are the slower 5700 drives any faster than they were? There are so many questions to be asked purely because it has been so long.
    I for one would really like an update on the HDD side of things please.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I would echo what SchizoFrog is saying :thumb: what about hybrid drives, are they just a waste of time ? or only of any use for a system drive, even then why bother if SSD's are faster.

Is it not worth buying a HDD under a certain size just as a storage medium, what with all the free cloud storage available now days ?

Will we be seeing Heat-assisted magnetic recording (HAMR) in the market any time soon ?

And FYI Samsung selling up to Seagate made me cry :waah: never trusted Seagate after having trouble with them many moons ago.

7. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

Its great to see larger SSD's become avaiable. I am sure the prices will continue to drop too.

8. koaschten

koaschten What's a Dremel?

I am kind of curious where the 840 PRO fits into the above image? between both? better than evo?

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Got most of the SSD 840 Evo capacities in for testing. Think Evo is a bit slower on the randoms. review next week!

10. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

I was more bothered by HGST selling up to WD

11. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Looking forward to it :)

12. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Here at work we've just been testing 840 Pro's in servers, and I can tell you that eight of them in a RAID 10* are ridiculously fast.
    They're also cheaper than the HP SAS drives, whilst being faster and higher capacity. What's not to like?

* We found a big difference depending on the server they were in, a brand new DL380 G8 had about twice the transfer speeds of a G6

13. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

The drive is made on 19nm process, not 10. Samsung referred to it as "1x nm industry leading" which is just marketing make it sound more revolutionary than it is. 10nm is still probably 5+ years away for mass producing NAND.

14. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, the article is inaccurate, it is a 19nm process that the new drives are on. 10nm isn't probablyh 5+ years away, but it is certainly at least 3-4 years away.

Micron currently has the smallest process size in a soon to be shipping NAND. They are just now sampling 16nm NAND. IMFT I think is looking at 14nm NAND in the nearish future (I think that is their next step), but I think that is still sometime next year.

Generally NAND follows CPUs/GPUs in that they switch to a new process size about every 20-30 months.

Still nice looking drives. I wonder if Samsung managed to fix some of the power issues with them (they are nice and easy on the battery at idle, but they are PIGS when it comes to read/write power consumption compared to most SSDs...though if nothing else the increased speed should allow it to finish its I/O faster and drop to idle). Now if the price would just come down I'd snap a new 120 or 250 up for my laptop.

15. Saltire35

Saltire35 Drunken Scotsman

HDDs aren't really worth reviewing any more are they?

Only SSDs are worth comparing imho these days.

Want storage drives... Just get any Western Digital Black drive... job done.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Obviously i cant speak for SchizoFrog, But im not sure he/she was asking for reviews.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

its actually a mix between TLC and SLC - theres a 1 bit SLC nand `turbowrite` to speed up the TLC - apparently similar to ncache on the sandisk extreme 2

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the Samsung press release doesn't say that - it says ` 10-nanometer class` which means between 10 and 19nm

and the TLC is 19nm ;) (3bit MLC is TLC NAND)

19. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Just to address any of the confusions here:

- The NAND is built on a 19nm manufacturing process

- The 840 EVO is an upgrade to the 840 SSDs; the 840 Pro ones still sit above it in terms of endurance and performance

- With regards to the point that Harlequin raises, the drive is not a mix of TLC and SLC NAND, it's all TLC. A certain number of GBs are treated as an SLC NAND buffer (e.g. 36GB in the 1TB version is treated as 12GB SLC NAND) in order to drastically improve *most* write speeds to TurboWrite speeds. If a set of write commands or a single one manages to exceed this buffer before the drive has a chance to flush it (when idle) to the rest of the NAND, post-TurboWrite speeds kick in and write speeds will slow down.

Naturally there will be a more detailed discussion of the new drive's features and performance enhancements in the upcoming full review.

20. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I was not particularly asking for reviews, but many of the tests that would need to be done to get the answers required for an in depth article would be the same as those for reviews, so I mentioned them. Also, you say that they aren't worth reviewing, but how do you know? Without up to date data we don't know if modern day drives are the same as 4-5 years ago. HDD's are still a massive and lucrative market, especially for NAS drives and other networking storage and so their use is far from dated, it's just slightly been reallocated.
    I just found it a little disappointing to realise that such an important component should be left without any sort of updates for nearly half a decade.

I mean come on, who here doesn't have any HDD's and of those that do, who wouldn't miss them if they all suddenly died?

P.S. I am a He. :)

Last edited: 19 Jul 2013
Tags: Add Tags