1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Sat nav???

Discussion in 'General' started by peteone, 3 Feb 2007.

1. peteone

peteone Minimodder

My GF is staring a new job on monday and is gonna be doing a lot of driving. Shes crap at directions so we were looking to get her some sort of sat nav. We have looked at the TomTom One which looks ok and costs around £170, I was just wondering af anyone knew a better product for around the same price or preferably less. It will be for UK use only if that makes and difference. And it would be nice to change the voices.:thumb:

Anyone know if the cheaper Garmin ones are any good?

Cheers.

2. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Got the TomTom One myself great little unit.

There is a Navman dealie going for £100ish at Halfords atm, no idea how good it is though.

3. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Cheers Hiren, can you upload differnet voices on the ONE?

:)

4. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Yup

5. padair

padair Inebriated

Navman use the navteq mapbase which is superior to the teleatlas mapbase used by TT. TT has better market penetration due to the large following built on the pirate copies of the Pocket PC version which is why there are so many hacks available, such as voices.

The garmin are perfectly acceptable units, they're better value than the Tomtom units expecially if you get one for under £100. Garmin are one of the best mapmakers out there, and have been at the GPS and Satnav game longer than anyone else - they were the first people to do a sat nav pda after all

Have a look at http://www.totalpda.co.uk and http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/ they have plenty of refurb units that'll save you a few quid

6. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Cool, cheers for the links. Im gonna go and have a look at the Garmin ones tomorow see what there like.

7. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

My dad recently bought a Navman F20 and I can't fault it (or remember the price).

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Just for a vote of confidence for Garmin's - my Dad's bought 2 of them now (albeit the £400 versions), and the mapping is really excellent.

Several times he's been to places with people who couldn't find it on their TomTom, the villages are often just not there.

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Well here's my opinion which may differ to others here.

We had a TomTom Go300 Christmas before last but my mum manged to lose it somehow so we bought a cheaper satnav - navman but its a piece of crap tbh. The amount of problems we've had with it is silly so I'd go for TomTom even if its more expensive since its been great to me.

My gf has the same navman as me she has minor problems too however a friend also has the same one as me and he's been ok with it.

10. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Cheers for the replys chaps, she ended getting a Tom Tom one and it seems ok. Although on testing it, it did seem to take me on magical mystery tour to my local shop. It may have been avoiding traffic blackspots tho, if they do that that is, Im not realy sure as Ive not had the chance to read the manual yet.

Got Homer, Yoda and Ozzy voices on it :thumb:, Im sure the novelty will wear off soon tho. :)

Tags: