Storage SATA 6 PCIe controller + SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xenon_MD, 18 May 2012.

1. Xenon_MD

Xenon_MD What's a Dremel?

Anyone have any experience with a SATA 6 card and SSD performance?

Moving my old bits down into my Lady's chassis and grabbing her a SSD in the process, however I'd like to ensure she gets the best performance through the drive so I've been looking into a controller card but solid info on performance is thin on the ground.

The board is a Asus P5K-E - looking to get her an OCZ Agility 3 SSD.

Any recommendations/advice on the SATA 6 controller card much appreciated.

Ta.

2. TobyKing1982

TobyKing1982 Minimodder

I think that was the expansion card I had. When I started using it Windows ran nice and smooth.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I tinkerered with the sata 3 controller on my mobo (marvell) with my M4 but as there was no definitive info, quite on the contrary, that my mobo sata 3 controller enabled trim I switched to the sata 2 port.

In real world activity sata 2 (3gb/s) vs 3 (6gb/s) makes no difference, at all tomshardware comparison.

Just adding a SSD is enough, IMO you don't have to fork out for a 6gb/s controller.

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

True to an extent maybe - I always thought. I can't tell the difference between booting from my m4 or patriot wildefire. But I built a vertex 3 system the other day and it was imo, as I wasn't measuring, much faster to boot into windows.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That could be down to the whole system though, unless you compare sata 2 & 3 on the same board with the same setup you can't discount other variables.

Unless you're doing large sequential reads you'll never really notice whether a 6Gb SSD is on a sata 2 or sata 3 port. Random read/writes which are of primary concern in day to day general use are nowhere near the saturation point of sata 2.