SATA and SATA II Mix?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deathrow, 24 Jan 2006.

1. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

Hello, im having a few troubles with my system.

I know I can use SATA II drives on a SATA interface and be ok. But my dad is pretty set on the fact that having both a SATA and a SATA II drive running on a SATA controller is the cause of the problem.

Is he right?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Hmm... What are the models of the drives?

Do both drives work independantly ok? Have you tried the diagnostic tools of each manufacturer?

3. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

What models are the drives? I'll take SATA-II to mean a 3Gb/s drive with NCQ and SATA to mean one without these features.

In theory, there shouldn't be any problems with this configuration as SATA is a fully backward-compatible specification - however, it is possible that a conflict is occuring due to firmware corruption on one drive or the like. I would test both drives individually as suggested by Krikkit to ensure that it's not a problem on their end.

4. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

WD Caviar SE 160GB SATA II
    Seagate Baracuda 250 SATA

Thats a good point actually, when we installed the first time it was just the WD drive on its own. So it cant be a conflict between the two.

When i say problem I mean they work, but atm the BIOS is set to run them as IDE and not SATA. Dad was ranting about it, and its giving me noticible system hang (especially when winamp accesses the Seagate).

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

When you say the BIOS is set to run them that way, what exactly do you mean? The BIOS is probably supposed to say that they're being run as PATA, since SATA is designed - at least on a software level - to emulate traditional ATA in order to maximise compatibility.

I'd look elsewhere for your sources of lag - check the drives are being addressed in DMA and not PIO mode (forum search for more info, there was a recent thread) and remove any nForce4 IDE drivers if applicable.