1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA hdd enclosure - firewire / usb?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shepps, 9 May 2005.

1. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

I have a shuttle SN85G4 and i need lots of storage space. Due to the small size of the shuttle i have to have two SATA drives outside the case. After seeing this im pretty tempted to do something similar.

4 x SATA drives with usb or firewire adapters, going into a 4 port hub, then having a cable from that to my pc's firewire port. Would this work? 4 hard drives connected via adapaters to a usb 2.0 / firewire hub? Any one have any idea what the speeds would be like? The hdd's will be powered by a mini psu.

I've managed to find a SATA -> USB 2.0 converter cable, but only in the states. Anyone know of anything available in the UK?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Generally, if you find enclosures like the Icy Box that do SATA to USB/Firewire the converter chips will be avaliable, but ive not seen anything for SATA unfortunately :/

You got a link to that cable?

edit: URG! "sustained transfer rate of 35MB/s, max for firewire 400" Bleh.

Shame you cant get something like an ESATA PCI adapter, then a SATA "hub" or something :D

Last edited by a moderator: 9 May 2005
  3. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******