1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA Raptor vs. IDE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kjkurtz20, 3 Mar 2006.

1. kjkurtz20

kjkurtz20 New Member

Right now I'm running 2 ide hard drives. One seagate and one western digital caviar. I was thinking of upgrading to a Raptor with SATA I. Is this a worthwhile upgrade? How much difference would it make?

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

36GB raptor - next to no difference
    74GB - If you keep your disks fairly well defragged, you probably won't notice a difference
    150GB - should be notably faster, but I'm just guessing based off of reviews. It also depends what you're looking to speed up - it may "feel" a bit faster, but it probably won't have a big influence on loading times.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother... they're way too expensive for the size, and most home users (gamers included) aren't going to notice a huge difference. My defragged 36GB Raptor feels no snappier than my defragged 300GB Maxtor, and considering they're not too different in price...

3. Boswell

Boswell Active Member

i think you will notice the difference... dont get the 36 gig, get the 74 or 150. Even if it does apparently "feel" faster... thats what we want - as long as we think its faster.. then it is faster :) ... but i generally do think that the raptor is faster and you will be able to see load times change (especially loading windows...)
    thats my opinion anyway.

4. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

with older IDE drives the would be a small difference between them and the raptor but as with newer 300+gig drives with 16meg cashe there will be little increase. personally i'd rather go with a uber fast SATA drive like the hitachi's with huge space compared to a very expensive small capasity raptor.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Dude, no. Raptors make a BIG difference for burst-read operation. I certainly notice the difference.

6. BlitzenWagon

BlitzenWagon New Member

dont bother getting a 36gb raptor... i notice a bit of difference but not enough to justify $130+ for it... if you want a quick one get the 150gb one.

7. kjkurtz20

kjkurtz20 New Member

Well right now it just takes awhile to load windows and such so i was just thinking this might help. I've decided to hold off on buying it for now, but might consider it in the future. it doesnt seem THAT outragously expensive and i dont need anything big as all my files are stored on my server on the other end of my gigabit network...the only thing i need on my hard drive is windows and the files to run programs. My server is only a p3 though with no sata or anything so that probably isnt the fastest for file access anyway even though with gigabit its basically just like a local ide. Any other thoughts are appretiated.

8. Sgoaty

Sgoaty New Member

I noticed a huge difference with a raptor especially in BF2 load times

9. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Moved my windows install from an 80Gb hitachi (8Mb cache) to a 74Gb raptor (WD740GD), boot time (from power button pressed to fully into windows) dropped from ~60s to 45s.
    YMMV
    Oh, and it seems to run cooler than my 250Gb maxtors as well, but then it is just above them...

10. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Well-Known Member

Ive just built a system this morning and installed a 36gb raptor and the load time for windows is good (having only had 30gb drives in the past its a vast improvement) May help ive just jumped from 256mb of ram to 1gb too like;)

11. grungedead

grungedead New Member

apparently sataII drives are pretty comparable in terms of sustained transfer rates to the raptors, it put me off buying a set of two 74gb raptors and buying one big ass 200gb sataII drie