1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows sata, ssd, nvme, oh my!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ryu_ookami, 18 Sep 2019.

?

Would option A or option B, be better

1. Option A

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Option B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I'm posting this here as I may have posted it in the wrong section the other day so hopefully second time around I'll get better results.

okay, I recently purchased a new system that has an i7, 32gb of DDR4 and a new motherboard. I want to start doing some video editing. I've never used an nvme drive before so i was wondering if some one could point out the best set up for video editing (rust videos so I'll be recording the game play as well). The nvme in question is 128GB PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive

Option A
    NVME: For the operating system
    SSD: For recording the game play to
    SATA: for basic file storage,

Option B
    SSD: For the operating system
    NVME: For recording the game play to (I've been told that having the video files here would help speed up the encoding)
    SATA: For basic storage

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

NVME will significantly improve system responsiveness.
    SSD is ideal for storage as it is cheaper unless the bandwidth isn't sufficient.
    More RAM to speed up encoding?

Is their an argument for not using a single large NVME?

3. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Yep, the argument is I've only got a single 128gGB NVME, AND a single 250GB ssd but I have 3 8TBS satas

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

either SSD will be fine for video, you will probably find like myself that the CPU will become the bottlenext and you won't be able to max the SSD.

Benefits come from transferring multi Gb files around the system with NVme, I get impatient with my 1.3Gb/s write drive from my NVMe RAID setup that can do 7Gb/s :D

If you are not shift big data about just do the video on the sata and perhaps set up a tiered system to cache the rest of your stuff with your small 128.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

Sell the NMVe and SSD to buy a 500GB NMVe?

6. delevic

delevic What's a Dremel?

In very little processes you will notice the difference. I have Samsung 970 512gb nvme m2. For everyday applications you will not see the difference. In loading 1200 raw files yes, you will see. But do you do that ? :)