1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scratchbuilt rack system

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Philot, 5 Mar 2003.

1. Philot

Philot What's a Dremel?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here's what I've been working on (since Thanksgiving :grr: !) I've kind stalled on this and needed some motivation. So I'm putting up a progress report in the hopes you all will have some good suggestions and get me psyched to get this completed.

[edit : fixed URL]
    I've got a rough writeup of my progress so far, with about thirty pictures detailing how I put it all together here .

I always seem to be opening up my machines to tinker with them, so I wanted to build something that would hold them all, yet allow easy access to the guts. I figured a mini-rack system would allow me to just slide out a machine to get to it.

Instead of fully enclosed cases like you usually use in a rackmount system, I'm planning to build clear acrylic trays that I can bolt my components to, similar to a big motherboard tray.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2004
  2. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Out of interest, does it adhere to standard rack dimensions?

3. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

bitchen!!!:rock: hmmm, idea - blowholes in the front plexi as large as you can make them, sucking air in. make the large trays L shaped like so -

front ___________| back

- then have fans on the vert sucking air out. just an idea. keep going! :D

4. Philot

Philot What's a Dremel?

bradford010:
    I followed a copy of the standard (Mil-something or other?...) that I found on the web. How accurately I followed it, I can't be sure.

The front panel holes are on 19" horizontal centers, with 1 3/4" vertically between rows. There's 17" horizontal space inside rail-to-rail. Overall depth is 24", which may be a little on the high side.

Since I drilled my own rails, and matched them to cap screws from the local Home Depot, those probably aren't standard. But that's something that goes with the rack, not the modules, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Since I built this out of aluminum, I wouldn't want to put any heavy audio gear in it. Particularly if its weight wasn't evenly distributed front-to-back.

5. Philot

Philot What's a Dremel?

Stealthing on smoked panels?

[edit:] Crud, this should have been a reply to this, not a new post! :grr:

Oh, I just remembered something I wanted your guys input on!

Does anyone have ideas on things to do to stealth drives on this?
    Remember, I've got this dark colored clear plexi here, so you can sort of see into the case (particularly where there are lights).

Should I just make a blank rectangle where the drive is?
    It seems like to do this right, I should take the drive apart and cast a replacement tray from clear resin. I'm not sure if that's going to be too hard for me to pull off right.

6. Hwulex

Hwulex What's a Dremel?

Merged threads for you :)