1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Seriously...how do you glue acrylic?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lowsidex2, 13 Oct 2003.

1. kisa_444

kisa_444 What's a Dremel?

If you use acetone, be extremely cautious and work in a very well ventilated area as it is a very harsh carcinogen (cancer causing).

2. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

I'd go with Tensol unless you're looking to save the last pound. All the sites I've looked up basically said use Tensol, the acrylic solvent might just be the same stuff as made by breaking up the acrylic and dissolving it in acetone which is what I think I'll try to do.

So next thing is where do I find a nice drum of acetone cheap in the UK?

3. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

BOOTS! I did a google search and aparently boots sells it - I'm going thisafternoon to get some ;) (if it ever stops raining!)

LOL

4. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

Damned rain, I thought I'd escaped the worst of it when I left Glasgow but noooo. Maybe I'll pop down to Boots now.

1 thing you want to be carefull of is to make sure you don't end up with scented acetone as I'm presuming Boots sell it for things like nail varnish removing. I'm pretty sure the scent wouldn't do the glue making process any good.

5. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

and have just found a cheap place to get some acetone from here

6. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I've used something called QuickEpoxy for gluing acrylic. It's a two component glue.
    A cool thing that happens when you glue acrylic, is that the glue fills into every little hole in the cut, and makes the junction perfectly transparent (like it were polished).

7. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

As a side note - give that this thread is about acrylic - I'm just about to order in some acrylic tube. I'm getting some 80mm stuff to make some res's with.

Does anyone want some? Various sizes are available ;)

:eyebrow:

8. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

I did, but like I said it ended up being too expensive for my needs. Can't remember where I found it but remember using google...

9. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?