1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Server sales slip by a quarter

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

"fared slightly better with a dip of just 13.6 percent, while high-end – greater than $500,000 – sales dropped 19.5 percent."

How does a server cost more than $500,000 ? ??? ??

3. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I think the big virtualisation push of late has a fair impact on this also.

At my work, they've recently replaced 25-30 physical servers with an array of 4 (admittedly very expensive and beefy) vmware servers.

it has meant in the past 6months or so, they were able to add about 6 new servers onto the network with no need for any new physical hardware whatsoever, in the past this would have entailed 6x new servers

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Big racks featuring multiple Xeon E7450s and hundreds of HDDs will easily go over $500k

5. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

@cyrilthefish I totally agree. We've done the thing in my office.

I also ran a few price checks with Dell, HP and another independent and the conflicting prices for same specs was quite shocking. Dell and HP both came back 3 times with bigger discounts, as much as 33%. While the independent struggled to match even though they started at a much cheaper option.

Moral of the story? Playing one against other works especially when you show them the competitions quote.

Tags: Add Tags