1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Server Specs Question

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Halgy3000, 12 Aug 2004.

1. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

I may have access to a T1 connection soon for an RTCW: ET game sever, but I was wondering how good of a machine I would need to be a server. I would probably only have 16-20 (max) people playing on it at one time, but I would I need a Athlon 3200+ with 1024MB ram and a raptor hard drive, or can I get by with an Athlon 2000+ with 512 MB ram and a decent hard drive? Thanks

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ive run a 24 player DoD server on a dual p3 and ATA100 harddisk before and a 16 player UT2k3 server on the same thing. Ive also tried running a 10 player Devistation CTF server with "real physics" enabled on a 2.0a P4 but it crapped out at 8 players.

You can run it on an el-cheapo cheapo system tbh, you just need 512meg ram minimum, although more is better for more people and a fast harddisk for map changes although its really not essential cause everyone will be loading the map at the same time and youll just be sitting there waiting for people. The only time the cpu "loads" is between map changes otherwise itll sit at <10% usually. Ooo and a damn solid network card/T1 connection card so you dont cut everyone off or whatever. I think "more stable" is better than "faster".

3. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

indeed, I agre with bindi. the net connection and nic are about the most important thing. A friend of mine ran a hmmm, 8 or 16 player cs 1.6 server on his amd 2000+ with 768 memory, and 2mb cache hdd. ran beautifully. He had more people then his clan does now. (his clan used to be called EH?, or something like that btw)

Depends what os you are running too. I know linux will be a bit quicker, or at least for normal stuff like email and web pages.

any 3com nic, well just about any, will do just fine.

4. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

I don't know if there is a linux version of Enemy Territory, but I'll check. Otherwise, I think I can get a decent system together for well under 400 bucks that could run it. It would be awsome to have my own server for free. BTW: If you play Enemy Territory, my alias is {TWR}BOB DOLE.

5. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder

yep mate ther eis a linux version of ET :D

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

ran a 16 player ET server on a p3 500 with 256mb of ram, on gentoo
    worked fine :)
    only ran over lan tho, was just a testing machine :)

7. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Servers require a decent amount of processing power, a fair bit of RAM, but most importantly a good connection. Servers that boast huge specs are just trying to lure you in, you don't need all that, especially for something on such an old engine as ET.

8. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Cool. Even I could could put a system together fairly cheap. I would have hated to have made a server that would have been absolutely sh!t.

9. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

well, a 486 with a couple ISA nics in it is fine for a home firewall, and MAYBE a small webserver. but if you tried to run a doom3 dedicated server on some p2 233 with 128 megs of ram, it aint gonna happen ;)

Tags: